New Guy

/ New Guy #1  

Ford 8N

Tractor
Ford 8N
Hello to all you tractor enthusiast. My wife found this site and thought I might be interested. As usual, she was right! To introduce myself, I should tell why I have an interest in tractors. It started for me about 57 years ago when I was a youngster of 7 years old and my parents bought a dairy farm in Northern NJ. The farm purchase included a 1950 JD Model A. That was the first tractor I operated. Needless to say, I still have a soft spot for the green machines, but my when my father decided to buy another tractor and tested a used Ford 8N before deciding to buy a new left over 1960 D14 Allis Chalmers, I was sorry to see the 8N leave the farm. I thought the 8N was the right tractor for me as a youngster, easy and fun to operate. Of course the D14 was the right choice for my father, who got out of the dairy business in 1965. After college and starting my own family the time came later in life to build my own home, and I found I had a need (or excuse) to buy a tractor to clear the land of brush and trees. That's when I bought my 8N and still have it today. That tractor is still with me after nearly 20 years, but since then I added on to my fleet a 450 JD backhoe/loader, a Ford 2000, and a M/F 3165. Even though the other tractors I have are "more" tractor, the 8N has always been my favorite. I guess that 8N is like a link to the past for me. One of these days I want to restore my 8N, and will most likely have questions. It sounds like this sight is the place to find answers and share experiences.