New to the site

/ New to the site #1  

Fishincoach

Tractor
John Deer 850
High guys, I am a retired teacher and coach and looking to get into growing Watermelons. All advice appreciated. I also want to plant some Dove fields, planting corn, Sorghum, Millet and whatever else Doves like to eat.

/ New to the site #3  
Welcome Coach!

How many acres? What kind of terrain and what part of the country are you in?

Regards,
Zxyrthe

/ New to the site
Thanks, we have 50 acres but only around 15 that can be farmed. I plan on working with about 5 or so next year planting some Dove area and at least 3 acres of watermelons.

/ New to the site #5  
I have a Kioti CK20 HST that I use mainly for landscaping and driveway maintenance. It's probably a little small for what you're planning. I'm sure some of the guys will chime in with some more specifically-applicable advice.

Do some searches in the forums. There are probably some older threads regarding acreage to hp for farming.

/ New to the site
I already have a John Deer 850. The land is just outside Grays SC, and is part of a 350 tract that was broken up to the children, used to be farmed with mostly watermelons grown on it. The soil is fine loamy sand with high ground and drains to a creek bottom. This past June I planted a test crop of watermelons planting around a 1/4 acre. I also planted some Sunflowers and Millet. We made around 90 watermelons and they came in more than a week early, might have been due to warmer weather in the summer compared to planting in mid March.
1stwatermelonfieldranchland.jpg

1stwatermelonRanchland.jpg

FirstwatermelonharvestGraysAugust302011.jpg

SunflowersandMilletAug27.jpg