Aussie

/ Aussie #1  

CSX66

Tractor
Shibaura SP1740 & Husqvarna 1842
Hi All,

Just found this forum when searching for info on my tractor.

I'm down in Australia just near Melbourne and recently bought my first tractor (picking it up this weekend). I've had a bit of a go on my friends M-F 135 but I'm still a bit of a newb when it comes to tractors so keen to read and learn.

I've also got a Husqvarna 1842 Lawn tractor that keeps the grass down and tows a little trailer for garden stuff.

Cheers

Mike

/ Aussie #3  
Welcome aboard. In your post, you didn't state the make and model of tractor that you bought. Whatever tractor make and model you bought, just check out the tractor forum associated with your tractor. Plenty of useful info available there. :tractor::welcome:

/ Aussie
Thanks,

I bought a Shibaura sp1740. It's a compact 4x4 tractor. 17HP 3 cyl diesel.

Cheers

Mike

Last edited:
   / Aussie
Picked up my tractor on Saturday. My friend with the Massey Fergeson came down to help me load it up and give me a few tractor lessons.

We got it home and started checking it over. It's pretty good and just needs a little TLC. We stripped most of the sheet metal off it the check a few things out. The hydraulics were very slow and we traced that issue to a clogged hydraulic filter. we ran it temporarily without the filter and everything works great. I'll be fitting a new filter and probably changing the hydraulic oil.

It has a neat gear shifter on the dash that makes it a breeze to shift gears but it had a lot of play in it and was very sloppy and a bit hard to find gears. We pulled the mechanism out and found a broken roll pin in there and some wear in the linkage. A new roll pin and a bit of tweaking the linkage and it was good as new.

The other thing that was a little disconcerting was how much it flexed in the middle driving over rough ground. A closer inspection found all of the bolts holding the square center tunnel to the diff were loose. A good general going over with a spanner and it felt 100 times better.

The clutch was slipping a bit under load but we traced this to the linkage being out of adjustment.

We got out and tried moving a bit of dirt around and trying it out. The motor is strong and this little machine will do some good work. My friend was surprised at how good it was for a small tractor. However the soft ground around my place and lack of any extra weight on the back made it a little unstable. it was worryingly up on 3 wheels at one point. This means some ROPS is high on the priority list before I do any real work with it. I think I'll also either build a weight box for the back or buy a box blade to balance things out when using the loader.

I'll fabricate my own ROPS and probably try to run some ties underneath to the loader frame to help stiffen up the center tunnel. It's OK now the bolts are tight but I don't want it flexing too much and working loose again.

It's also a little cramped for my tall frame so I'll relocate the seat mountings to make it a bit roomier.

A few other general maintenance things need doing. The radiator needs to be flushed and a new cap fitted. It needs new filters and an oil change.

I'm going to look for some turf tyres and rims for it as the ag tyres on it really tear up the ground.

Pics to follow.

Cheers

Michael

/ Aussie #7  
Welcome to TBN!!!

Creekbend gave you the intro to the Shibuara forum....sounds like you might need a bit of help on your tractor...bought used, I take it?

Well, this is my 10,000th post on TBN...no better way to celebrate it then welcoming a new member, right?

/ Aussie
Thanks for the welcome

Yep, bought it used but the price was good and everything works. I knew what I was getting into but the basis is there for a good machine. I have a pretty well equipped workshop so should be able to fabricate or repair most things it needs. The only real issue I can see is sourcing things like filters. If I can't find the right ones I'll be able to adapt something else. I've machined up remote filter adapters etc for other projects.

The ROPS should be a good fun project. I'll post some progress pics.

Cheers

Michael