New Member Kahuna Bud, Virginia

/ New Member Kahuna Bud, Virginia #1  

Kahuna Bud

Tractor
None yet as of Sept 2012
Hi, I'm a new member as of September 2012.
First time buyer for a tractor to bush-hog 15 acres (some is very steep) and also mow normal lawn.
4-wheel drive. Any rugged brand, used.
Any thoughts, guys?
Thanks in advance,
Bud (Kahuna Bud)
Virginia, east foothills of Appalachian Mountains

/ New Member Kahuna Bud, Virginia #2  
Welcome. I'm just a bit west of you across the Blue Ridge. I bush hog 10 to 15 acres and tend to the rest of the property with a new JD 3038e. I downsized from a JD 2030 68 hp earlier this year after problems getting my old frame up on the bigger tractor. You'll find all kinds of ratios people post about how big a cutter is best for you - the bigger the cutter the faster you'll get it done. On the other hand, the bigger the cutter the bigger the tractor needed. I suggest a compact utility tractor with 25-40 hp and a 5 to 7 foot cutter. If you get a CUT you can also possibly get a belly mower that will help you with your mowing tasks. You don't need a front-end loader, but you'll find a million uses for it - so get one.

If you are shopping used, you'll find as I did that the pickings are slim. Few folks with a CUT sell it, and when they do they sell it to friends and such. There are few around with low hours. And you don't want a high hour machine unless you know tractors and their repair. You may wish to go check out a new tractor. Both JD and Kubota have zero interest financing going and I found that I would actually pay less over time for a new unit that I would financing a used one. It's worth a look anyway. Good luck and enjoy the tractor buying experience. It's fun.

/ New Member Kahuna Bud, Virginia #3  
   / New Member Kahuna Bud, Virginia #4  
Welcome to TBN lot's of good people here with good honest advise.

/ New Member Kahuna Bud, Virginia #5  
Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ken

/ New Member Kahuna Bud, Virginia #7  
Welcome from Tennessee Bud.