New member near Houston

/ New member near Houston #1  

donpeak

Tractor
Zen Noh ZL 1501 with loader and Modern brush hog
Hi
Just found this web site and purchased a used Ken Noh 1501 from a neighbor who bought a new Kubota. They say this gray market tractor is nearly
identical to a Kubota 175 (late 70's-early 80's)

My goal is to use this tractor occasionally to assist my decking crew to put fill sand around my swimming pool projects amd to help others do a clean-up
after the pool is finished. I did not know which machine size would be best, so this will give me a good idea.

Other uses are strictly hobby related....like a 1/2 acre vegetable garden with a Big Need of which tiller, plow,etc. etc. to buy and where to buy it.
Any help from garden enthusiasts would be helpful!! I have a front end loader and a 4' brush hog on it now. Tractor develops arouind 16-18 hp. (diesel)

---Don Peak

/ New member near Houston #2  
Welcome from Oklahoma. Not to be picky, but your tractor is probably a Zen Noh, not a Ken Noh.

Ken

/ New member near Houston #3  
Welcome from NE Arkansas. I have only been a member a short time, and can assure you the information you receive from this group is very helpful. Especially for a non-farm guy like me.

/ New member near Houston
Ken:

Thanks for the corredtion....Zen Noh is what i have. Now, i need to change my profile and dont know how. Nice web site here and very informative!! I'm an Okie and go there a lot to see relatives. Don

/ New member near Houston #5  
Don welcome to TBN from down Bay City way. I started with a B7510 which is a 21hp gear driven tractor. Have a FEL (front end loader).
If your garden area has never been used for a garden the soil is going to be compacted. You will need a plow to go down 6 to 10 inches and turn the soil over. I made do with a middle buster from Tractor Supply. Not ideal but what was available at the time. Then you want to go over it with a tiller. Depending on your soil you may want to add soil enrichment or sand to break up clay. Tractor Supply on occasion has tillers for compact and sub-compact tractors. 48" should do nicely. These are typically orange in color. A tiller for a standard size tractor can be some what cumbersome on a compact because it is made for a tractor with a higher ground clearance. Typically gardens are made with raised beds in our area. To make a raised bed I have found a "hiller" or "bedder" to be very useful. This is a tool bar with a pair of disc's attached to a tool bar that fits the 3pt. The discs are set like / \ which pushes the dirt up into a hill or bed. I found that disc's work better than plows.

For "cleanup" I have found that a landscape rake works well. It can be useful in spreading and smoothing sand as well. I have several other attachments as well. However the wife has threatened that the next tractor or implement may come with divorce papers. LOL So take heed!

/ New member near Houston #6  
:welcome:

/ New member near Houston #8  
Welcome to the forum.

/ New member near Houston
Don welcome to TBN from down Bay City way. I started with a B7510 which is a 21hp gear driven tractor. Have a FEL (front end loader).
If your garden area has never been used for a garden the soil is going to be compacted. You will need a plow to go down 6 to 10 inches and turn the soil over. I made do with a middle buster from Tractor Supply. Not ideal but what was available at the time. Then you want to go over it with a tiller. Depending on your soil you may want to add soil enrichment or sand to break up clay. Tractor Supply on occasion has tillers for compact and sub-compact tractors. 48" should do nicely. These are typically orange in color. A tiller for a standard size tractor can be some what cumbersome on a compact because it is made for a tractor with a higher ground clearance. Typically gardens are made with raised beds in our area. To make a raised bed I have found a "hiller" or "bedder" to be very useful. This is a tool bar with a pair of disc's attached to a tool bar that fits the 3pt. The discs are set like / \ which pushes the dirt up into a hill or bed. I found that disc's work better than plows.

For "cleanup" I have found that a landscape rake works well. It can be useful in spreading and smoothing sand as well. I have several other attachments as well. However the wife has threatened that the next tractor or implement may come with divorce papers. LOL So take heed!

Hey thanks for the garden info from Bay City!! I located and bought some Gilsin implements that i can adapt to my
wider 3 pt. hook-up. blade, plow, two rows of small discs, two cultivator( spines?)s and my neigbor has a wide discs i can borrow. Will probably get a box blade and a bigger discs in the future and sell this nice set of New Gilson attachments.( Only paid $200!) or trade it for a bigger disc. Thanks again for the garden info. ---don