IrishMan in Texas

/ IrishMan in Texas #1  

Rockthread

Tractor
IH 806 Gas, Farmall M LP.
Hi all, This is JJ here in Texas.
I grew up on a dairy farm in south Ireland so I would say tractors are in my blood, Ive been in the US for about 15 years.
My first tractor is a 1947 M LP with a 3 point. I rescued it from a field, rusted solid. New pistons, sleeves etc and she runs like a top. Still rough on the outside hopefully paing will come soon. It had the 3 point conversion which I reinforced and added power down as i was using it to build a road and prep a foundation for my new shop. Great tractor, it has no problem breaking the grader teeth if i hook up on a rock.
My new project is a 1967 806 gas. I bought it not running well with some minor issues, water pump, radiator, hydraulic fittings corroded and leaking. With the timing corrected and a carb rebuild and its runs nice. Compression is between 105 and 127 psi.
I'm still educating myself on the systems of this 806.I think I might have a governor sticking as acceleration is a bit choppy. any thoughts on that would be appreciated!!
It has the fast 2 point hitch which i will upgrade soon, probably fabricate something myself and save the cash. I'd like to fit a rops system as this is alot of tractor, (saftey first)
Well thats a brief history on my end. Looking forward to meeting Y'all!! JJ

/ IrishMan in Texas #2  
:welcome: to TBN even if bullet don't like it.

/ IrishMan in Texas
Hey thanks, I don't know bullet????

/ IrishMan in Texas #5  
Welcome from Illinois .Does that 806 have a big lever on the left side of the steering wheel ? That is a torque amplifier or T/A . Baically a high low for the trans . Back is low , forward is high . See if that is working as they were prone to failure on the low side . If it is working , refrain from using it as a downshift going downhill or turning around at the end of a run . This is what causes them to fail . I/H made lots of $$ rebuilding T/A's . Your tractor may be factory delete , no T/A . Otherwise they are a good tractor , good luck .

/ IrishMan in Texas
Welcome from Illinois .Does that 806 have a big lever on the left side of the steering wheel ? That is a torque amplifier or T/A . Baically a high low for the trans . Back is low , forward is high . See if that is working as they were prone to failure on the low side . If it is working , refrain from using it as a downshift going downhill or turning around at the end of a run . This is what causes them to fail . I/H made lots of $$ rebuilding T/A's . Your tractor may be factory delete , no T/A . Otherwise they are a good tractor , good luck .

Thanks for the heads up!! It does have the T/A and it works. Thats a good hit about not using it as a down shift. Is there a recomended use for the T/A that will not cause it to fail??
The tractor will do mostly yard grading, landscape and pto work. Thanks JJ

/ IrishMan in Texas #8  
I should have explained a little better . You can pull it back to slow down in a tight spotor working through a tough spot . Just don't use it as a brake going downhill with a load pushing on the tractor , like a loaded wagon or heavy implement . Hope this helps .

/ IrishMan in Texas #9  
Rockthread-- A big Howdy from East Texas.

Charlie