/ New Member #1  

fraan

Tractor
john deere
Hi all,
I'm glad to have found this forum.
I am a long time gardener who has moved to a 5 acre property, opening up lots of opportunity for growing berries, row crops, cover crops, and some fruit trees. I'm a small farmer now, finally!!
I've had rototillers in the past, but I'd like a small-mid size tractor to help with tilling, cultivating, moving manure and compost around. The property came with a JD garden tractor mower, which is fine for the mowing I will be doing.
I see a Yanmar F155 and a Yanmar 1601D on Craigslist now, as an example of something I think is appropriate. I am handy with tools, and can weld, so minor repair and maintenance are fine, but major engine repair is a bit out of my league. What do you all think?

Thanks,
Fraan

/ New Member #2  
Know nothing of Yanmar so no help there but I believe there are many nice brands of tractors. Hope your farming goes according to plan and welcome to TBN. rob

/ New Member #3  
Welcome Fraan to TBN. There is alot of knowledgable people here that will give you solid honest advise on a tractor purchase. Pick you out a section to start up a conversation and you'll get boo koo's of help. -robert

/ New Member #4  
I am on my second Yanmar. I would suggest that if you are going to buy a Yanmar, buy one either made in USA, or an authorized import. It's my understanding that the grey market "rice tractors" being imported now are coming from Viet Nam. They were worn out in Japan and sent to Nam and worn out again. My first one was a
336D - I loved it until I over heated it - my fault. Present one is an EX450,probably too big for what you want. If the model number starts with 4 #'s (YM1500) for example, it's a rice tractor. If it is 3 digits (YM336) it's an aouthorized import. The D at the end designates front wheel assist.
I know I'll get a lot of flack from the guys who own rice tractors, but in light of the recent legal battles and the Viet Nam thing, this is the best advice I can give you.

/ New Member #5  
:welcome:

/ New Member #6  
:welcome: :dance1:

nice to have you aboard. Sometimes if you post some pics of your place, the terrain, your garden,
it might help focus the advice you get. And if you ask a question, try to be as specific
as you can, more info is better.

There are lots of Washington state folk here, you might find a neighbor!
Ditto on avoiding grey market tractors; the low price has a reason. Yanmar is a very high quality tractor,
but can you believe the hour meter? Important that you can. Buy a used high quality tractor and
you'll be glad you bought a John Deere, or a Kubota, or a New Holland, or a Kioti...it's a big list. You have about a dozen
good brands in the sub compact or compact utility tractor market. And you have come to the right place for advice.

/ New Member
Thanks much, Rob. Which Mahindra do you have? Happy with it?

Fraan