Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    john deere

Default New Member

Hi all,
    I'm glad to have found this forum.
    I am a long time gardener who has moved to a 5 acre property, opening up lots of opportunity for growing berries, row crops, cover crops, and some fruit trees. I'm a small farmer now, finally!!
    I've had rototillers in the past, but I'd like a small-mid size tractor to help with tilling, cultivating, moving manure and compost around. The property came with a JD garden tractor mower, which is fine for the mowing I will be doing.
    I see a Yanmar F155 and a Yanmar 1601D on Craigslist now, as an example of something I think is appropriate. I am handy with tools, and can weld, so minor repair and maintenance are fine, but major engine repair is a bit out of my league. What do you all think?

Thanks,
    Fraan

Tractor
    ford and mahindra

Default Re: New Member

Know nothing of Yanmar so no help there but I believe there are many nice brands of tractors. Hope your farming goes according to plan and welcome to TBN. rob

Elite Member
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old MF

Welcome Fraan to TBN. There is alot of knowledgable people here that will give you solid honest advise on a tractor purchase. Pick you out a section to start up a conversation and you'll get boo koo's of help. -robert

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar EX450

I am on my second Yanmar. I would suggest that if you are going to buy a Yanmar, buy one either made in USA, or an authorized import. It's my understanding that the grey market "rice tractors" being imported now are coming from Viet Nam. They were worn out in Japan and sent to Nam and worn out again. My first one was a
    336D - I loved it until I over heated it - my fault. Present one is an EX450,probably too big for what you want. If the model number starts with 4 #'s (YM1500) for example, it's a rice tractor. If it is 3 digits (YM336) it's an aouthorized import. The D at the end designates front wheel assist.
    I know I'll get a lot of flack from the guys who own rice tractors, but in light of the recent legal battles and the Viet Nam thing, this is the best advice I can give you.

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Murph ------------

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

nice to have you aboard. Sometimes if you post some pics of your place, the terrain, your garden,
    it might help focus the advice you get. And if you ask a question, try to be as specific
    as you can, more info is better.

There are lots of Washington state folk here, you might find a neighbor!
    Ditto on avoiding grey market tractors; the low price has a reason. Yanmar is a very high quality tractor,
    but can you believe the hour meter? Important that you can. Buy a used high quality tractor and
    you'll be glad you bought a John Deere, or a kubota, or a New Holland, or a Kioti...it's a big list. You have about a dozen
    good brands in the sub compact or compact utility tractor market. And you have come to the right place for advice.
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, LP RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, LP 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Welcome aboard. Best wishes.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF

Welcome to the forum.

Tractor
    john deere

Thanks much, Rob. Which Mahindra do you have? Happy with it?

Fraan

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1423 Hydrostat

Massey 1423, 1462 loader, wallenstein Ranch ho gx620, with subframe mount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast