Newbie with another project

/ Newbie with another project #1  

Tinker1980

Tractor
Case 350
Hi all. I've come here to learn some information about something that is sitting in the yard - an old bulldozer/tracked loader. (Looks like a dozer, with a bucket instead of a blade.) It says CASE 350 on it, and has been sitting since 2002.

A closer inspection shows that it's all there, with the exception of two batteries - I snatched the batteries from my Metro and my Chevy truck, installed them, turned the key, and the fuel pump started to run. No amount of pushing buttons made the engine crank. At this point, I was curious to see if the engine would even turn, or if it was now a boat anchor. I couldn't get voltage down to the starter from the operator's seat, so I used jumper cables to get the juice to the starter - lo and behold, the engine would turn. :cool2: Sounded as if it had compression, and with the fuel on, it puffed some smoke, even gave a couple of good thumps like it was going to try to start.

I understand diesel engines in cars fairly well, but in this case I'm going to ask questions - this machine does not appear to have glow plugs, but there is some faded writing on the control panel about a "manifold heater". Some clean fuel is most likely in order, I assume diesel goes bad just like gasoline goes bad. (Just in a different way. Bacteria, jelly, water, and such.) So what am I missing? Is there a compression release? I have found the throttle on the injector pump, with a linkage to a pedal, but there is another linkage on the other side of the pump, that goes to a pull-knob on the control panel - is this a throttle you can set and forget, or something else? Is there anything specific to a Case 350 Dozer I should know? I will attempt to get pictures of it uploaded tomorrow.

/ Newbie with another project #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Newbie with another project #3  
The pull knob that goes to the fuel injector pump is a fuel shutoff, It must be all the way in to run. You must have good batteries to spin the engine over quickly. I'm sure you have some safety switches that keep the starter from engaging. Make sure the transmission is in neutral, especially the forward reverse control, if it has one. Be very careful if you use ether. If it turns over and sounds like it wants tof fire, it'll probably run.

/ Newbie with another project
I apologize for the lack of updates, but I have good news and bad news for this project. I ended up spending some time fixing my car (A 1991 metro that was getting 48 mpg with a worn-out engine) and now that I have it rebuilt and going, I decided to take another look at the track loader. I used a drill-powered pump to get all the old fuel out, and put in a couple gallons of fresh diesel. I looked in the back under the seat/fuel tank and found a glass bowl, removed it and cleaned it out. I turned the key on, and opened a valve on the fuel filter at the front and let the pump run until I had nice clean fuel flowing into my mason jar. Closed the valve, put in the batteries, hooked up the battery charger on the "start" setting, and gave it a go. (I had figured out how to operate the starter) At first it cranked and puffed out a little black smoke. Rest the starter, run the manifold heater, give it another try, and I have a ton of white smoke this time - Progress! A little more cranking, and I get a few good solid thumps, a sputter, and it runs for a few revolutions. One more try, hit the "gas" pedal this time - success! After knocking down every mosquito for three miles I have a running engine. Didn't want to idle at first, but after it ran for about 5 minutes it idled fine. Put it in gear, and it even moves. But I can't pick up the blade. Checked the fluid, and the dipstick was dry. Put fluid in it (A LOT) until I had it between marks on the dipstick, started it back up, and now the bucket moves. Time for a test run. The wife wanted me to put some old chairs in the dumpster for trash pickup, and PUT THEM THERE I SHALL. It moves in a straight line when you don't pull the handles, and it seems to turn left easier than it turns right. Moves quicker than I thought it would, but still not what I would call FAST. Maybe walking speed.

The bad news - One of the hydraulic hoses failed. Gave me a short shower. I knew that would happen since it's been sitting for 15+ years. I think hoses are an easy problem to fix however. I just need to bring my burst one (and all the rest! I used to work on forklifts, I know what happens) to a place that makes hoses and get the hoses made. Then I will have a running track loader that I'm not sure what to do with.:cool2:

A video, for your enjoyment.

Case 350 first run - YouTube

/ Newbie with another project #5  
I'm glad you got it running, you will find many uses for it.

Dave

/ Newbie with another project
Ok, ladies and gentlemen, I have a question. On this loader, there are the two handles for steering/brakes, a "gas" pedal that controls engine speed, and another, "Mystery" pedal that doesn't seem to do anything. I'm posting a picture of the floorboard, the pedal I have a question about is on the left side, near the transmission dipstick.

Any idea what it SHOULD do?

IMG_20130404_133103_9321_zps1549df43.jpg

/ Newbie with another project #7  
Brake?

/ Newbie with another project #8  
Greetings and Welcome to TractorByNet. :tractor:

/ Newbie with another project #9  
Welcome:thumbsup:

/ Newbie with another project #10  
See Diagram here:
Parts for Case 350B Crawler Tractor
Part # 12 is listed as brake pedal.

It has been a while since I've had hoses made.
I've been thinking of updating some hoses on my tractor, before I get stuck in the middle of a field, and thinking about ordering "stock" sizes.
Surplus Center, Hydraulic Hoses

I noticed that my local farm store also had stock hose sizes.