introduction

/ introduction #1  

debp

Tractor
Kubota L3400
My husband and I recently built our retirement home on 5 acres in SW Colorado. I have been involved in the local food movement and hope to convert part of our 5 acres to food production. We are in a good fruit growing area (apples, pears, cherries, apricots), though not reliable enough for commercial production anymore. Our land is a blank slate, pretty much, as it has just been starved of water and mowed yearly for 10 years - it had been an orchard until the 1950s, then a hayfield for awhile - so has surviving smooth brome and alfalfa. Has good water rights and some reasonable ditches that need to be restored. Also hope to have a garden and perhaps have a younger grower use our better soil for a market garden. Right now we are just moved in, and landscaping, deer fencing, tractor buying are our main pursuits. I spent time on my grandparents farm, drove tractors, but never really learned the basics of using equipment (or much else about farming, for that matter). My husband has a bit more knowledge, but this "farming" is my thing, not his, so it feels like quite an adventure, and overwhelming at times. Have found lots of good info on TBN, so thought I would join. Posted my first question on the tractor buying and comparison forum last night.

debp

/ introduction #3  
Welcome to the forum.

/ introduction #4  
Welcome Deb to TractorByNet. :tractor:

/ introduction #6  
Welcome to TBN.....can't beat retirement!!:thumbsup:

/ introduction #7  
:welcome: to TBN