Just a noob saying hi

/ Just a noob saying hi #1  

95XL883

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 990
Hi all,

I've been lurking here a while trying to learn enough to make a semi-wise tractor buying decision. I've got a day job but my wife and I bought 40 acres in northeast Linn County, KS this past December. Our thought was part investment, part hunting ground and part weekend getaway. Of the 40, 26 are hay field. At one time somebody cared enough to terrace the field but the ground really hasn't been cared for the last five or more years. I'm correcting that. I had soil tests done and am having it fertilized and seeded with some medium clover. I found a local farmer who actually worked the adjacent ground a few years ago. He thinks the brome will come back with the fertilization. Here's hoping he's right.

The other 14 acres are a mixture of brambles, trees, two spring-fed ponds and about 4 acres of grassy glens. The ground slopes to the middle and the south. There is a lot of deer and turkey sign. Of course there is the usual coyote, raccoon and cottontail populations. I haven't seen any squirrels which is kind of interesting.

It's not great farm ground but it is real quiet and peaceful. We're enjoying Saturdays on the farm. I bought my first real chain saw, a Stihl 290 Farm Boss. Wow, that thing is fun to run. Properly tensioned and sharpened, it goes through wood fast. I'm clearing some trees and brush out to have some more fencing put in.

We're looking to buy a tractor to help with the upkeep of the 14. Nothing too big, just want to turn the glens into food plots, keep the two lanes clear (one is eroding a little so I'm going to have to grade and mulch it), put in an acre of sunflowers (my wife likes sunflowers) and keep the area near the roads neat. I'll probably build a small "horse" barn with three stalls to store the tractor, some supplies and a place to crash overnight during hunting season.

There is an adjacent 10 acre tract with a house and "barn" in foreclosure. If we can get that, I see a horse property. It is so rough right now my wife can't see it but I can. That property has been let go but the house and barn have good bones. At the right price, it could be made into a very nice country place for horse lovers. We'll see how it turns out.

Anyway hi to all.

/ Just a noob saying hi #3  
:welcome: to TBN

/ Just a noob saying hi #4  
Welcome from Canada.

/ Just a noob saying hi #5  
:welcome:Sounds like your going to have LOTS of fun on your new ground. Enjoy it.:thumbsup:

/ Just a noob saying hi #6  
Greetings and Welcome to TractorByNet :tractor:

/ Just a noob saying hi #7  
Welcome aboard! Sounds like a nice piece of property you have.

Joe

/ Just a noob saying hi #8  
Welcome. :)