A free tractor....with caveats

/ A free tractor....with caveats #1  
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT1601D
Hello everyone.
I look forward to gaining some useful knowledge here as well as giving some back. (Hopefully).
I was gifted a mid-80's ( so I am told ) Mitsubishi 1601 D. It supposedly runs but has a starter problem and a dead clutch.
Sounds like fun to me.
Cheers

/ A free tractor....with caveats #2  
... and I was getting excited that you were going to give away a tractor for free (oh well), it would have been a good excuse for a drive to California.

enjoy the fun

/ A free tractor....with caveats #4  
Welcome to TBN:welcome:

/ A free tractor....with caveats
... and I was getting excited that you were going to give away a tractor for free (oh well), it would have been a good excuse for a drive to California.

enjoy the fun
Oops...sorry
Although if things don't go better than yesterday I might just one day do that: give it away :)o)

/ A free tractor....with caveats #6  
Welcome to TractorByNet. :tractor:

/ A free tractor....with caveats #8  
Take it. Starters are easy. Clutches you are gonna have to split the thing in half. But other than that it is easy.

/ A free tractor....with caveats #9  
Splitting a tractor first thing out the gate is pretty ambitious. It may be worth your while to have a shop do the clutch repair. I believe there is a list of other things that you're supposed to do to a tractor if you ever have to split it, but I don't know what those things are. Hopefully someone else will speak up.

/ A free tractor....with caveats #10  
Get a service manual, take alot of pictures and bag every nut and bolt with a description where it goes. You will also need some sort of engine crane or in the least a good jack. I have split mine twice. Just need to go slow and careful and have a friend around for the split and the putting back together if you can.