New John Deere 2520 owner

/ New John Deere 2520 owner #1  

CampHamp

Tractor
2520 John Deere
IMG_2549.jpg

Hello Tractor Lovers!

My name is Jamie Jones. I'm 48 and live in New Hampshire with my wife (no kids). I love using forums to learn and share ideas - I go to mapletrader (I make syrup) and arborist (tree work) and have learned so much. Now I have a tractor and here I go again....

I've been shopping around for my tractor for months trying to decide how big, which manufacturer, dealer/service and what attachments to get, etc. I had my basic requirements all in my head: 4WD, about 30HP, FEL, backhoe and good resale potential (in case I didn't use it much or if I wanted something different after using one). And then last month driving along the local highway, I saw green paint "FOR SALE" calling my name. It's a John Deere 2520 (92 hrs) with FEL, Backhoe, 54" Snowblower, front PTO kit, ballast box and a 7000# trailer. Real money for all that stuff ($24K !) but new this was all $31K. I already sold the trailer ($2,220) because my CRV won't be hauling this anywhere but I expect to use the other attachments.

I've never driven a tractor before starting this one, but I've been around them enough in the last 3 years (since we moved out to the country from NYC) to know what they can do. We hired lots of tractor & backhoe work for moving trees, extending the driveway and prepping land for a barn we built last year.

So far, I've dug up a couple stumps (10" and 12" oaks - takes time, but not hard), hoisted 1000# steel beams for a bridge and moved gravel for my driveway.

I haven't taken the backhoe off it yet but I have removed and re-installed the FEL once (just an amazing system!). As snow approaches, I'll drop the backhoe and test out the blower (today I put a PEX tube across the blade to help keep it off the gravel - just learned that trick here last night!). Will need to get some chains for my steep driveway....

I burn tons of wood for heat and for boiling maple syrup and I'm hoping it helps with hauling trees. I'm not sure the best process or setup yet, but will first try just lifting with the back hitch and dragging, then perhaps decide to get a winch (depending on how safe / easy it goes without one).

I'm looking to clear a bit of land and do some farming (so far we're just "gardening"), so the tractor should get busy over the next couple years.

I look forward to being here among you all and hope I can help one or two people out as I get more experienced myself. For now, I'm only a sponge!

-Jamie

/ New John Deere 2520 owner #4  
Good fine, have fun!

/ New John Deere 2520 owner #5  
Greetings from West Chesterfield, NH!

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ New John Deere 2520 owner #6  
G'day Jamie and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

I do love a good, 'meaty', introduction. Ta.

Enjoy the site!

/ New John Deere 2520 owner
What a diverse welcome - one from next-door and another from the other side of the planet!

Wagtail - my wife is an Aussie and sister-in-law lives in Launceston (she runs the farmer's market, if you ever make it there for that)... And yes, I put all my cards on the table. I stink at poker.

/ New John Deere 2520 owner #8  
Welcome! If you are going to drag large trees don't do it from the 3pt. hitch. Hook it with a chain down below the axle on the draw bar. Smaller trees I will either pick up and move with my forks or chain them to the 3 point. Have fun!

/ New John Deere 2520 owner
Welcome! If you are going to drag large trees don't do it from the 3pt. hitch. Hook it with a chain down below the axle on the draw bar. Smaller trees I will either pick up and move with my forks or chain them to the 3 point. Have fun!

Thanks for the note on this!

I guess as the tree is heavier you want to make sure the load force is low on the tractor to keep it from doing a wheelie? Or is it because you can hurt the 3pt. hitch with too much tow-weight? I'll be hunting around and reading about how people process firewood with their tractors, looking for a balance between safe/efficient/inexpensive...

/ New John Deere 2520 owner #10  
Welcome aboard from North Carolina. Just a thought. Do you have the Operator's Manual for that make and model? Is there ballast in the rear tires? Best wishes.