Hello and Help!

/ Hello and Help! #1  

LarryGN

Tractor
John Deere 316
Hello! I have been looking at TBN several times to try to keep my 1987 John Deere 316 Lawn Tractor (which I inherited from my father) going and have appreciated the expertise of the members. It has less than 500 hours on the meter (close, but not quite) so I figure it has a lot of useful life left in it (I hope!) I'm fairly handy and willing to attempt a lot - I figure if someone else can do it so can I (if it doesn't take too many specialized tools). I mow about 1.5 acres, mostly flat, and I can do it with a walk-behind mower, but it sure goes a lot faster with the Deere. Glad to be a member and am looking forward to a good discussion. /Larry

/ Hello and Help! #4  
Welcome from VA

/ Hello and Help! #6  
Hello! I have been looking at TBN several times to try to keep my 1987 John Deere 316 Lawn Tractor (which I inherited from my father) going and have appreciated the expertise of the members. It has less than 500 hours on the meter (close, but not quite) so I figure it has a lot of useful life left in it (I hope!) I'm fairly handy and willing to attempt a lot - I figure if someone else can do it so can I (if it doesn't take too many specialized tools). I mow about 1.5 acres, mostly flat, and I can do it with a walk-behind mower, but it sure goes a lot faster with the Deere. Glad to be a member and am looking forward to a good discussion. /Larry
Do you have a current problem that you need help with?

/ Hello and Help!
Do you have a current problem that you need help with?

Hi Gary. Yes, it is posted under "John Deere 316 - surging, stalling, hard to start, discharging the battery " and it says:
Hello. I am new to TBN so I don't know if this has been discussed. If so, Google didn't find it.

I have a 1987 John Deere 316 with almost 500 hours on it. It is hard to start - sometimes I use starting fluid to get it going. Then, it surges - rpm goes up and down. If I try running with the throttle less than wide open it will stall.

Are these symptoms related? I read about the vacuum-driven fuel pump and so I am wondering: hard to start because of low rpm/low vacuum while cranking. Then, while running, it pulls in fuel, dropping vacuum, so it slows and vacuum builds, etc.

Is the surging something to do with the governor?

How can I check, and how much of the machine do I have to disassemble to do so?

I also read about the battery-discharging light, that it could have to do with bad connections or bad alternator. Again, where are the relevant connections and how do I get to them to clean/renew them?

Thanks in advance,
Larry

I got one response: clean the fuel and the carb. That's on my agenda for today.

I also discovered that it runs a lot better with the choke half closed - was wondering if that was a clue that could lead to a solution.

Thanks much! /Larry

/ Hello and Help! #8  
Welcome to TBN.

Running better with the choke half closed tells me that the main jet in the carb is clogged.

My sears Garden Tractor was doing the same thing until I cleaned up the carb and blew the main jet clean.

I got some B 12 Chem Dip Carb Cleaner from walmart and took my carb apart and soaked it. After soaking it in the cleaner I took an air nozzle and blew the jet clean. a14826.jpg

After the cleaning of the carb the engine ran fine without choking it and no more surging.

Chad

/ Hello and Help!
Welcome to TBN.

Running better with the choke half closed tells me that the main jet in the carb is clogged.

My sears Garden Tractor was doing the same thing until I cleaned up the carb and blew the main jet clean.

I got some B 12 Chem Dip Carb Cleaner from walmart and took my carb apart and soaked it. After soaking it in the cleaner I took an air nozzle and blew the jet clean. View attachment 387737

After the cleaning of the carb the engine ran fine without choking it and no more surging.

Chad

Great - I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks.