Taking over my fathers farm.

/ Taking over my fathers farm. #1  

TerrapinFarms

Tractor
ford 1620, ford 9n
Hey guys. first off let me just say how awesome of a forum this is. Ive feel like I've been a creeper on here for awhile without actually registering. so much information, its great.
so a little about me, I'm 28 and my wife and I were born and raised on the eastern shore of Maryland. we were farming a small 7 acre plot in upstate NY for a few years and recently moved back to the shore to have our first child. My father is getting older and has decided to stop leasing our land and have me take it over for him. He's got about 1,500 acres total of corn and beans. I've cleared about 50 acres to start and am in the process of putting up about 12,000 sq ft of greenhouses to grow hydroponic lettuce ( my specialty is large scale indoor hydroponics ) to supply restaurants in the area. We intend on growing lots of full sun row crops, melons, tomatoes, squash, different beans ( not soy ). we are switching from the mindset of large scale commodity corn production to smaller scale organic vegetables as we have a very strong local market.

Now, heres the kicker as all this land was leased we never really had a lot of our own equipment . so were starting from scratch and working our way up. my basic needs are heavy tilling and discing for row crops, pulling a transplanter, a 2 or 3 bottom plow etc. now were phasing out the corn so the other 1,400 or so acres will continue to be leased this year. the plot I'm working is 96 acres with 50 already bush hogged waiting for our a new tractor to do the ground prep.
so needles to say i need lots of advice on the proper sized equipment for this operation. I assume the proper thing to do would be to make another thread in the john deere section as thats our closest dealer and who I'm looking at for a tractor and attachments. I'm looking at a 5115M I'm figuring i need at least 100 pto hp for tilling. id love to step up to the 6140M but **** thats expensive. well before i get too into it here, thanks again for an awesome community and i look foreword to learning much more from y'all.
cheers.

/ Taking over my fathers farm. #2  
Welcome aboard from another 28 year old taking over dad's farming operation with his wife. :) This is a great forum. I would say that there's lots of ways to skin a cat in this particular situation. If I were you I'd reconsider spending so much cash on a new machine. New tractors are great, but in that size category there is just so much old iron that will do the job for a fraction of the cost. I'm not too well versed in the larger machines, but at least where I live, you can buy an old International 866 or 1066 for under $10,000. If you're stuck on a MFWD tractor, there's options there too, although they are more expensive. There are some great resources for figuring out what size machinery to pursue for veggie farming, google something like "tractor size for vegetable farms". Another great resource is Martin Diffley from Gardens of Eagan in Minnesota. Google his name. He's a old tractor buff, who buys&sells machines for veggie farmers. He is truly a wealth of knowledge, and he has a great website with tons of info.

Welcome aboard, and good luck. I look forward to reading more about you operations and equipment choices.

Ryan

/ Taking over my fathers farm. #3  
Welcome....with your experience and acres available to work, you are one of the few full time farmers on the forum...Best wishes in all you do!!

/ Taking over my fathers farm. #4  
I know next to nothing about veggies and what you are getting started. But will agree that new isn't always better, it's too easy to get way deep in debt with shiny new paint.

Good luck and keep us posted, from yet another 28 year old running the family farm!

/ Taking over my fathers farm. #5  
Welcome!

/ Taking over my fathers farm. #6  
I would stay green since you are in the full time business and have a dealer y can trust. I would also look at some the low hour old iron 2wd as they are cheap and do crops very well.

/ Taking over my fathers farm.
Thanks guys, I should mention our fields sit about 1.5-5 ft above sea level and some actually border the marsh with the bay being about 30 -50 yards out. often times parts are flooded during storms and high winds which we seem to have no lack of. so I'm thinking 4wd is pretty necessary at least sometimes right? Im all for buying used, with the amount of equipment we need theres really no other option.

/ Taking over my fathers farm. #8  
Thanks guys, I should mention our fields sit about 1.5-5 ft above sea level and some actually border the marsh with the bay being about 30 -50 yards out. often times parts are flooded during storms and high winds which we seem to have no lack of. so I'm thinking 4wd is pretty necessary at least sometimes right? Im all for buying used, with the amount of equipment we need theres really no other option.

I would recommend MFWD, once you have MFWD you're spoiled with it and would not go back to 2wd. Since your farming so close to sea level (about the same over here). Having MFWD is also a plus in the early season when everything is still a bit damp. Get a bigger tractor for tillage and a smaller one for the other tasks therefore reducing some compaction.

/ Taking over my fathers farm. #9  
I know next to nothing about veggies and what you are getting started. But will agree that new isn't always better, it's too easy to get way deep in debt with shiny new paint.

Good luck and keep us posted, from yet another 28 year old running the family farm!

I think we may have enough 20 something farmers on the family farm to convince Hollywood of the need for yet another reality series: "Tractor, Twenties, Thousands of Acres".

/ Taking over my fathers farm. #10  
I would look into the implements first, such as "buctraco.com". They have a very informative site. Then I would select the tractor to fit and work with your implements.