Horse power in pa

/ Horse power in pa #1  

Thebairds03

Tractor
Quarter horses
Good morning! I'm a long time lurker (been visiting awhile) just broke down and joined! My interest isn't really in tractors , but pole buildings etc. I used to board my horse at a facility till I realized I could take better care of her myself for less $... Then I went ahead and rescued a few more ponies ( my poor unsuspecting husband)! We threw up some decent 3 sided shelters last fall , but now really need to a barn, for my sake not so much the horses. Also looking into a new holland (30 hp)? For brush clearing,and manure removal. Sry for the long post I'm just happy to b able to see all of your pics now....

/ Horse power in pa #3  
Welcome from a fellow Western PA member. My wife also has horses and I get to do the majority of the repair work. I don't know if I agree about the taking care of horses cheaper part unless your not including your own labor! WE fluctuate between 22 and 40 horses. I do all the hay myself too. They get their stalls cleaned everyday except Sunday and fed twice daily. A Tractor is a very valuable asset in taking care of large animals and it sure beats the heck out of a wheel barrow!

/ Horse power in pa #4  
:welcome:
To the forum from Alabama. How much land do have? I bought what used to be a horse farm,11.5 acres, so I have a 3600 sq. ft. barn with 8 stalls, 2 tack rooms, hay loft over the stalls. The other end is clear as that is where they walked and mounted them in bad weather. I don't have horses, just donkeys, 5, and chickens and grandchildren, 5 girls, the barn is used more for storage and parking the tractor and implements.

/ Horse power in pa #6  
Welcome! 2 horses and a 30 hp New Holland TC30 is what we have- works just fine. Good to have you here!

/ Horse power in pa
:welcome:
To the forum from Alabama. How much land do have? I bought what used to be a horse farm,11.5 acres, so I have a 3600 sq. ft. barn with 8 stalls, 2 tack rooms, hay loft over the stalls. The other end is clear as that is where they walked and mounted them in bad weather. I don't have horses, just donkeys, 5, and chickens and grandchildren, 5 girls, the barn is used more for storage and parking the tractor and implements.

Sadly only 6 acres ( more or less) 4 of which are wooded. I'd love to see pics of your barn, my husband and I are in a heated debate about hay lofts lol... He thinks it's a waste of space not to build a gambrel style , I think I don't wanna drag hay up & down OR get a hay elevator

/ Horse power in pa
Welllll, maybe not cheaper, ok def not cheaper if our labor was included ...... Well it would cost 1600 a month to board my 4, and I can't tell u how much I love looking out my window and seeing them. We have an article cat prowler utv w a dump cart so I use the heck outta that, but my dads kubota has been a lifesaver, just really hate depending on someone else's equipment

/ Horse power in pa #10  
I was going to have to argue pretty strongly about the savings part. :D From my experience, there is no such thing as saving money with horses. If you want to look at cost/horse maybe but its still more money overall, just saying.

I would def urge you guys to look at a tractor. My wife uses our L3400 ALOT. The one thing I will def argue for is to not use tarps to store your hay! its not nearly as nice as the pictures in the sales brochures and magazines would lead you to believe!