Saving the Old

/ Saving the Old #1  

Gommer

Tractor
Wards 16
Hello, I think us older folks should try to save a small part of days gone by and teach the young some of the old ways.

/ Saving the Old #2  
I agree wholeheartedly, our young people have little knowledge of the sweat we poured into our lives and surroundings. We must teach them what life was like in order for them to appreciate what they have today. My method is restoring older vehicles, and teaching my son (now 27) the value of hard work and that "getting your hands dirty" isn't a bad thing. We do enjoy our time together, however little it may be, as our lives seem to get busier by the minute.
Bravo to all those who take the time, and put forth the effort to teach. JMHO

/ Saving the Old #3  
Welcome to TBN. :)
I agree for it would be in there best interest when they get older.

/ Saving the Old #4  
Welcome. Been there, done that. The kids do not want to get their hands dirty just as I don't want to "text" or facebook. Seriously, one thing I loved most about the "good old days" was people talked to each other on the streets, in the market, etc. All this "social media" has left us with a generation and a half of socially retarded people.

/ Saving the Old #5  
I'm sure that an old black rotary telephone would provide only momentary amusement compared to a smart phone.

/ Saving the Old #6  
Hi and welcome to the forum! :welcome: I look forward to hearing about the old ways.

/ Saving the Old #7  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

I'm retired from the Navy, however once a week I volunteer and instruct at our local Navy Cadet unit. There's about 25-30 young people (13-18yo) who come from all over the Shire to attend and, I must say that, working with 'the youth of today' is a different experience to how we were 'back in the day'. However, I've learnt that that's just it; a different experience. At first I thought that they were 'off with the faeries', then discovered that they had heard & absorbed everything that I'd said.

They continue to surprise & delight me.