New to me (actually my Grandma) flawless 89 Massey Ferguson 1020 4WD

/ New to me (actually my Grandma) flawless 89 Massey Ferguson 1020 4WD #1  

El Corvino

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1020
My Grandfather recently passed away, leaving behind his immaculate 1989 MF-1020. When I say immaculate... he literally washed and waxed it after every use and I couldn't even believe it was a 1989 - it looks like new! Anywho, it's a 1 owner MF-1020 4WD 3 cylinder Diesel. He even left the owners manual and every single receipt for every single service on the machine! It operates flawlessly and has NO rust. It's a bit too much of a machine for me personally. My little John Deer cuts the grass just fine at my Grandma's house. I don't want to be one of those people who just let it sit and waste away, especially in this condition. A local tractor place gave me an "estimate" on what they felt it's value was... though I think I was quoted on the lower end on the spectrum hoping they could snatch it up. There are 0 problems with the unit, starts up every time with no problems, and it has a total of 2025 hours with like new tires (Firestone Turf & Field). I was hoping someone on here could tell me what this unit is truly worth before I offer it up for sale.

If it makes a difference, I'm located in the NE where everything rusts and like stated - this tractor has absolutely NO rust.

IMG_9207.jpg

IMG_9216.jpg

IMG_9189.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

IMG_9224.jpg

IMG_9199.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9209.jpg

IMG_9214.jpg

IMG_9220.jpg

/ New to me (actually my Grandma) flawless 89 Massey Ferguson 1020 4WD #2  
You sure that's 4 WD.
Looks like a 2 WD unit.

/ New to me (actually my Grandma) flawless 89 Massey Ferguson 1020 4WD
Hmmm... All I could find info online about was the Diesel 4WD units. I don't see any lever to engage 4WD and doubt it's AWD all the time... you sir, I believe are correct.

Also, here are two more photo's. The original owners manual and stacks and stacks of service/maintenance records.

IMG_3304.jpg

I'm seeing back as far as 5-17-89 on this 1989 model.

FullSizeRender3.jpg

/ New to me (actually my Grandma) flawless 89 Massey Ferguson 1020 4WD #5  
It does not look to be a 4x4, 2000 hours is not bad but it's not a spring chicken either. You might want to let us know what the dealer offered and we can say if it's good or not. Personally, it's a deal breaker for me with only 2x4. (not worth much to me.) Nice to see a clean one!!!

Last edited:
Always garage kept - I guess that helps! They offered $4500, but I've been seeing pricing all over the board, so I didn't want to short change my own Grandma.

/ New to me (actually my Grandma) flawless 89 Massey Ferguson 1020 4WD #8  
I agree, looks like a 2wd model. The steering knuckles, clearly pictured, are 2wd style, and axle tube and knuckle doesn't have the size and shape a 4wd would.

Very nice looking tractor, but due to 2wd, hours, and age, $4500 seems fair...

Check models like it on tractorhouse.com for comparison. Might not find one as nice, but you can get a feel for the market that way.

/ New to me (actually my Grandma) flawless 89 Massey Ferguson 1020 4WD #9  
...and the provided serial number says that it's an '87.
Wouldn't it be a 1986? Doesn't this mean that in 1987: starts with S# 02394 (1020-2)?

As for price, $4500 seems low to me, I would price it a grand more. I assume they offered "trade in" value. If you have implements to go with it, that would raise the price more.

/ New to me (actually my Grandma) flawless 89 Massey Ferguson 1020 4WD #10  
$4500 sounds more than fair to me for a 21 HP, 30 year old, 2WD compact tractor.