New Member from northern Florida

/ New Member from northern Florida #1  

Flaken

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT 2544
Hello All,
What a long strange trip it has been for me to reach this point.
After being another homeless veteran for about three years and change, Social Security Disability back pay finally came through. Even though I only got half of the back pay, I purchased my first ever house on an acre in a rural community in northern Florida, about 4 miles from Alabama and about 30 miles from Georgia.
After about a year of living here, someone was kind enough to donate a Cub Cadet GT 2544 garden tractor. It began throwing the PTO belt, so the person just stuck it in his barn and bought something else. That was over three years ago. When I was asking around about a riding mower for sale cheap, this person offered this tractor to me, all I had to do was come get it. One day I winched it up into my pickup and drove back.
Tractor itself is in not too bad of shape, but the mower deck will need to be almost completely rebuilt. Don't mind it a bit as it gives me something to do. There will be quite a bit of reading to do here and certainly will have questions.

/ New Member from northern Florida #2  
:welcome: to TBN from NH...enjoy.

/ New Member from northern Florida #3  
There are a lot of North Florida members here.

Quite of few are vets, including me.

Welcome to the site.

/ New Member from northern Florida #4  
Ditto on the welcome. Hope to see you involved in the TBN community.

:welcome:

And a BIG Thank You for service to the country!

/ New Member from northern Florida #5  
To the TBN forum Flaken. Glad to see that you joined us here. Thank you for your service. I had to rebuild the deck on my ridding mower and found it to be very straight forward. What size deck is it, 2 or 3 blades?

/ New Member from northern Florida
It is a standard 2006 GT 2544 which is the 3-blade 44 inch deck. After tearing it down, about the only thing that won't be replaced with new is the PTO double sheave and the tension arm & springs. Sure, it's 10 years old, but the previous owner bought it new and took fairly good care of it with the exception of the last few years that it sat in his barn.

It is somewhat odd, but I feel very uncomfortable when people thank me for the service. It basically comes from when I got out in 1978 and the attitude of the country was vastly different than today. I learned real quick that veterans in 1978 were all thought of as a loathsome vile, disgusting animal. Only the HR people knew I was a veteran as I would never mention it on the factory floor. But, that was then.
Thank you for your kind thoughts.

/ New Member from northern Florida
It is a standard 2006 GT 2544 which is the 3-blade 44 inch deck. After tearing it down, about the only thing that won't be replaced with new is the PTO double sheave and the tension arm & springs. Sure, it's 10 years old, but the previous owner bought it new and took fairly good care of it with the exception of the last few years that it sat in his barn.

It is somewhat odd, but I feel very uncomfortable when people thank me for the service. It basically comes from when I got out in 1978 and the attitude of the country was vastly different than today. I learned real quick that veterans in 1978 were all thought of as a loathsome vile, disgusting animal. Only the HR people knew I was a veteran as I would never mention it on the factory floor. But, that was then.

/ New Member from northern Florida #8  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

/ New Member from northern Florida #9  
I know exactly what you mean. When I came back from Nam in 1970, 5 of us got into a taxi to go to the SeaTac airport and the driver had the gall to bad mouth us all the way to the airport. Called us everything from scum to baby killers. We had to hold one Army guy back who wanted to be a taxi driver killer right then. When we got to the airport, I went to the USO lounge where I changed out of uniform for the plane ride home to reduce anymore of that.

/ New Member from northern Florida #10  

Happy to have you here!