Drive In Theatre owner looking for best tractor for regular maintenance.

/ Drive In Theatre owner looking for best tractor for regular maintenance. #1  

Ozoner

Tractor
Jacobson HR-15
Hi all,

I own two Drive In Theater's in NY and I'm in the market for a sub-compact tractor. I'm thinking about the Massey Ferguson GC 1720. I would also like a mower deck for a backup to my Jacobson triple deck mower. Probably a rake would help for my needs also. I think there is a package deal with a tow trailer which I could use to move my equipment between locations. The Drive ins tend to get a lot of driveway washout and are in need of some tile line drainage on low spots near marquee and my storage garage. I'm also searching for a smaller dump truck for gravel and crushed stone needs. I've spent too much on redoing my driveways that I should have just bought equipment years ago and It can be business write off lol. I know there is a recent thread here on the Massey Ferguson gc 1720 so I will ask my questions there.

Thanks,

Bill aka Ozoner

Last edited:
   / Drive In Theatre owner looking for best tractor for regular maintenance. #2  
I guess you'll be OK with a small dump truck. Our local quarry no longer allows pickups. It seems their loader didn't see one and backed over it.

/ Drive In Theatre owner looking for best tractor for regular maintenance.
I guess you'll be OK with a small dump truck. Our local quarry no longer allows pickups. It seems their loader didn't see one and backed over it.

My local quarry will dump a large bucket of crushed stone on any pick up for I think 5 or 10 bucks. I'm hoping to find some decent equipment and get to work. The snow has only just melted and it is a bit mucky lol.

/ Drive In Theatre owner looking for best tractor for regular maintenance. #4  
How many people have you caught trying to sneak in your theater hiding in trunks?

/ Drive In Theatre owner looking for best tractor for regular maintenance. #5  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

The only advice I can give is to visit the various dealerships in as far a radius as you want to go. Be honest with the salesman as to what you need a tractor to do for your business. Check out their service and parts department, that sort of thing. We tend not to push (or bad-mouth) a particular colour of tractor, here on TBN... mind you, we are usually proud of the colour we did choose. :)

Enjoy the site.

/ Drive In Theatre owner looking for best tractor for regular maintenance. #6  
:welcome:

Thanks for keeping the drive-in theater alive :)

/ Drive In Theatre owner looking for best tractor for regular maintenance. #7  
Well said wagtail, there all good generally, best thing to do is sit down and list out all the possible things you wish this tractor to do, list out everything you wish in the future to possibly do with that tractor and chose the tractor that best fits those needs.

For example: loader capacity, PTO HP for running attachments like rear mowers some day, tilling or and ground engagement work.

All tractors are made a little different, everyone has different comfort points when operating, I would suggest, make that list, find all the different brands and models that suit those needs and take the time, visit all the dealerships and drive all the tractors on that list, there's usually one that stands out and it may not be the massy. I personally haven't operated any of the newer massy tractors but the ones on here the guys seem to really like them.

So for drive restoration you will want a FEL and a Land Plane, you can use a box blade but there not as easy to operate properly. If there's no particular budget to worry about a 3pt quick hitch would be on my list, it makes taking off and hooking up to attachments much easier.

You can decide 3pt mower (bush hog or Finnish mower) or belly deck on mowers.

Choice of tires, R1 agricultural, R4 industrial, Turf Savers.

For your needs I would go Turfs (Turfs use diff rims than R4s or R1s), 30-40hp tractor with a FEL, rear finish mower and land plane with a 3pt quick attach for convenience. To start you off

/ Drive In Theatre owner looking for best tractor for regular maintenance.
Thank you Folks,

I appreciate the input. I have a LOT to learn. To answer the question on trunk dwellers at the Drive-In Yes that is always part of the business. I usually, after catching them send them to the snack bar to buy lots of GOODIES to make up for the ticket theft {more profit in the concession sales lol}. And I really love the comments and the thanks for keeping this portion of America alive.

Ozoner Bill

/ Drive In Theatre owner looking for best tractor for regular maintenance. #9  
Thank you Folks,

I appreciate the input. I have a LOT to learn. To answer the question on trunk dwellers at the Drive-In Yes that is always part of the business. I usually, after catching them send them to the snack bar to buy lots of GOODIES to make up for the ticket theft {more profit in the concession sales lol}. And I really love the comments and the thanks for keeping this portion of America alive.

Ozoner Bill
I would disagree with the land plane suggestion.
While it is an easy implement to use for leveling, as you know, your drive-in is not level.
You need to level some areas, but you also need to maintain a pitch on each of your parking rows.
Over time, the land plane will be slowly tearing down that pitch.
A rear blade will take a lot more finesse to use, but it will keep your rows in much better condition.
Way back in the late 50's I worked as an assistant to the owner of a drive-in (707 cars), but we had an all asphalt surface.
That drive-in, I worked at 60 years ago, is still alive and well!
Wellfleet Drive-In Theatre !!!

/ Drive In Theatre owner looking for best tractor for regular maintenance. #10  
Ozoner Bill, I have fond memories at the drive ins! Great to see you still keeping some Americana alive. Bob