New (to me) 1962 Case 530 Loader Backhoe

/ New (to me) 1962 Case 530 Loader Backhoe #1  

LADogBoy

Tractor
Model 31
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a small piece of land to build a house upon for my family of four. Two weeks later, I was asked to help to move some equipment from a property when I saw an old Case backhoe loader sitting abandoned and asked what was going on with it. Turns out the owner had recently passed away. He had used it to do everything on their lot from digging septic tanks to raising timbers to grading a road. His window asked me if I'd be interested. When I told her that I had just purchased a property and needed a backhoe, she offered it up for free if I could get it running. I couldn't believe my luck!

Had to clean out the fuel tank - total clay-like sludge. Cleaned the ignition system (it's a gas model), gave it a shot of starter fluid and...nothing. A neighbor helped me do some trouble shooting and figured out it was a positive-ground system. We ended up bypassing most of the wiring and hot-wired the ignition. Fired it up and it purred like a kitten... a rather old, slightly arthritic kitten... but it ran.

Figuring out the systems little by little thanks to the fantastic help that stans 1 has given me. His documentation of his total rebuild is inspiring.

Here's a shot of the tractor and the backhoe which is disconnected right now. Working to get them mated up before the tractor is towed to my new lot.
IMG_20170918_153458.jpg IMG_20170918_153506.jpg

I'll be looking around the forum, asking lots of questions, and hoping to get this loader/backhoe back to work building yet another house. Thank you to all the members for helping this tractor newbie get into the game.

Andy

/ New (to me) 1962 Case 530 Loader Backhoe #2  
I'll be looking around the forum, asking lots of questions, and hoping to get this loader/backhoe back to work building yet another house. Thank you to all the members for helping this tractor newbie get into the game.

Andy

Welcome Andy,

You sound like you have a real interesting project! Glad you are sharing it with us, I'll be happy to see more pictures and postings on your Case.

Thanks for the pictures you posted today, cheers, Stan..........

Last edited:
   / New (to me) 1962 Case 530 Loader Backhoe #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

/ New (to me) 1962 Case 530 Loader Backhoe #4  
:welcome: to TBn.
Good to see yesterday iron still pulling its weight. :thumbsup:

/ New (to me) 1962 Case 530 Loader Backhoe #5  
Hi Andy. Welcome to the forum :)

:welcome:

/ New (to me) 1962 Case 530 Loader Backhoe
Thank you for the kind welcome. In the last few weeks, I've been working to get the tractor moving. It runs but has a lot of small problems that I'm trying to knock off one by one. Finally got the backhoe mated up and it got moved to my property.

Here's my baby out in front of my new property (where I plan to build my house):
View attachment 524891

Next is the removal of two leaking cylinders. I'm so luck there's only two! One is the 4" diameter that leads out to the bucket. It seems rather straight forward to remove. The other is the large, 4.5" cylinder which runs inside the boom that brings it in or extends it. The thing leaks like a sieve!
I've parked the tractor in a barn and extended out the arm to get ready for removal. Not quite sure how to clear the larger cylinder out of the boom, but I'll be working on it next weekend and any suggestions would be a big help. Thanks!
Andy
IMG_20171015_120744.jpg