New to the forum, not new to being a redneck.

/ New to the forum, not new to being a redneck. #1  

DMax82

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE
Hello forumers!

I am very pleased that after three years of wanting to, my wife and I are finally going to become country folks again. I should actually say again as individuals but for the first time as a couple. We have lived in the city (Nashville) for the entire three years of our marriage and are thrilled to be getting out. The wife grew up on 200 acres in Western Michigan and I lived on 15 acres outside of Nashville during high school and college, so it is something that we both enjoy.

A bit about the property...it has a farmhouse built in 1900. I will be doing some major renovations plus an addition. I think it has tons of potential and am super excited. We will also add a connected garage with a one bedroom apartment for visitors. I also plan on building a 24x36 workshop. We want to have goats, a pumpkin patch, an orchard, and a large vegetable garden. My wife's dad has years of experience growing pumpkins and fruit trees, so he will be a great resource. I want to create some great outdoor living spaces with a fire pit and picnic tables as well.

Honestly six acres is quite a bit smaller than I would have liked, but the property is very beautiful, and well laid out so that every square foot of it is usable. It has nice mature trees and good soil. Six acres will be enough for me to maintain though.

My wife is due to give birth to our first child at the end of next March. I would love to be in the new house by then but am not sure how feasible that is. I am doing most of the work myself, except for the trades. The Nashville area is still booming and getting all of my subs lined up might be pretty challenging.

Well, since this is TRACTORbynet I guess I should talk about that a little. On our small farm we previously had a Kubota L3010 with a FEL that my dad bought new. It was a great machine although I of course would have liked a bigger one. My only real complaint was the lack of a quick attach plate on the loader, something I will insist that my new tractor have. So I am looking pretty hard for a 4wd tractor in the 30-40hp range with a FEL. Loader capacity is really my biggest thing. Open to pretty much any brand. Hoping to get a good deal on a used one. I look on Craigslist every day. Will probably start a thread or two in the buying section. As far as attachments I am wanting forks, auger, tiller, bush hog, finish mower, and whatever else my father in law says I need.

Basically the vision for our new home is to create a place for family, friends, and strangers to come and feel special. We hope the garage apartment will get a lot of use, want to host fun parties, and be able to give people a chance to feel connected to a simpler lifestyle, if only for a day. At this point we are not sure if we will try to monetize the place or not. Maybe sell some produce, but probably not much beyond that. My dad is super excited about making goat cheese.

I look forward to "getting to know" folks on here and seeing how we can share knowledge and experience. A few pictures are below.

David

IMG_7128.JPGIMG_7139.JPGIMG_20171011_174558997_HDR.jpgIMG_20171012_175826899_HDR.jpgIMG_20171017_180504517_HDR.jpgIMG_7108.JPG

/ New to the forum, not new to being a redneck. #2  
Welcome and good luck! I'm sure 6 acres can keep you plenty busy, especially when you add in the animals to care for as well. Heck, your new baby will keep you plenty busy without the land and animals to care for!

/ New to the forum, not new to being a redneck. #3  
David,

Welcome to the forum.

Please, please, please have the paint in the house tested for lead before you start remodeling, particularly with a pregnant wife. A firefighter friend was remodeling a similar aged farmhouse here in Washington and his wife found out she had very high concentrations of lead in her blood as a result of the sanding dust. It never occurred to him to have it tested. The white paint on the exterior of your house and the age, make it a high probability that there's lead based paint present.

On the plus side, the bunker would make a nice smokehouse....

FB

/ New to the forum, not new to being a redneck. #4  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site... and your 6 acres!

/ New to the forum, not new to being a redneck.
Thanks guys!

FB - will definitely be getting tested for lead paint and asbestos. Fortunately the previous owners seemed to favor wall paper and I am actually not doing much tearing out. But can't be too careful with this sort of thing!

/ New to the forum, not new to being a redneck. #6  
:welcome: to TBN David...enjoy.

/ New to the forum, not new to being a redneck. #7  
Thanks guys!

FB - will definitely be getting tested for lead paint and asbestos. Fortunately the previous owners seemed to favor wall paper and I am actually not doing much tearing out. But can't be too careful with this sort of thing!

:thumbsup:

/ New to the forum, not new to being a redneck. #8  
Hi David. That looks like a beautiful place. Welcome back to country life :)

/ New to the forum, not new to being a redneck. #9  
Welcome to the forum,congrats on the new place

/ New to the forum, not new to being a redneck. #10  
Congratulations, look at some old posts by bp fick for onfo on gardening, he's not on much anymore but has a wealth of knowledge oldballs is still gardening and very helpful.