Patiently waiting...

/ Patiently waiting... #1  

Einthewoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I just ordered my first tractor, and am patiently waiting for it to be delivered in a couple of weeks. I have 20 acres which is mostly hilly hardwoods. I will be using the tractor for moving snow in the winter, firewood work in the summer along with the countless other tasks (food plot clearing, driveway gravel project, etc., etc.)

kubota L3301 - 4WD HST
R4 tires filled
LA525 QA FEL with L2256 66" bucket
PFL2042 42" Forks
E1134 Deluxe fiberglass canopy
Engine block heater

Now on to picking a good grapple and other attachments along with many modifications that I have read about by other members on TBN

-long time lurker, first time tractor owner. Thanks for all the info and I look forward to being a part of TBN.

/ Patiently waiting... #2  
Welcome to TBN and the forum. Waiting is a bi*ch - but you get exactly what you want. You will be getting your tractor just in time to start digging out of the snow. I clear a mile long driveway, my yard and mail box area with a heavy duty Rhino rear blade. A heavy rear blade is a fast way to clear snow and usually less expensive than other methods (front or rear snow blowers or front snow blade). Enjoy the new tractor - go slow and be safe. Read you owners manual - cover to cover. Ask ?? if you don't understand.

/ Patiently waiting... #3  
Just had a thought for you Einthewoods. If you get so impatient that you start itching all over - I have a possible cure. Go to your Kubota dealership and pick up a copy of the owners manual for your new tractor. NOW is a good time to start reading this manual.

/ Patiently waiting... #4  
Congrats on the new rig: definitely get a 7ft.rear blade for snow removal,way better than just the bucket.

/ Patiently waiting... #5  
Trying to remove snow with the front bucket will do several things for you. 1) give you quite a bit of seat time with the tractor 2) probably make you frustrated at how little gets done for all the time you spend 3) provide more than adequate first hand experience showing that there are better implements than the bucket for moving snow.

Anyhow - you want as heavy a rear blade as your owners manual recommends( and your budget allows) and a blade that will cover both rear tires while it is offset. This one condition - "cover both rear tires while it is offset" that may push the blade width beyond what the OP manual recommends.

In my case - my OP manual recommends 1000# max with 72" max width. My Rhino 950 rear blade is right at 1000# and is 96" wide. There is no way that a 72" rear blade will cover both rear tires and be offset. My 96" rear blade just barely does the job. Kubota implement recommendations are ultra conservative - as are most tractor manufacturers.

/ Patiently waiting... #6  
Welcome to TBN and the forum. Waiting is a bi*ch - but you get exactly what you want. You will be getting your tractor just in time to start digging out of the snow. I clear a mile long driveway, my yard and mail box area with a heavy duty Rhino rear blade. A heavy rear blade is a fast way to clear snow and usually less expensive than other methods (front or rear snow blowers or front snow blade). Enjoy the new tractor - go slow and be safe. Read you owners manual - cover to cover. Ask ?? if you don't understand.

Where you are, (South of Spokane?), I am sure the Rhino rear blade does work just fine.
The OP apparently is in the UP of Michigan.
HEAVY snow country!
I would doubt that ANY rear blade is going to be a good snow removal tool for him.
He will very likely need a blower.

/ Patiently waiting...
Just had a thought for you Einthewoods. If you get so impatient that you start itching all over - I have a possible cure. Go to your Kubota dealership and pick up a copy of the owners manual for your new tractor. NOW is a good time to start reading this manual.

Great suggestion! I downloaded the manual and am digging through it. Though, not sure this is helping. :)

/ Patiently waiting...
Where you are, (South of Spokane?), I am sure the Rhino rear blade does work just fine.
The OP apparently is in the UP of Michigan.
HEAVY snow country!
I would doubt that ANY rear blade is going to be a good snow removal tool for him.
He will very likely need a blower.

I do plan to get a blade. I figure it will help at least as long as I keep on top of it. Use the bucket as needed to move piles and anything else that needs a bit extra. A blower will be nice. I'll be looking into that for next winter once my wife stops giving me the look that she has right now. :)

/ Patiently waiting... #9  
That’s gonna be a nice setup. Congrats!
I’d love a blower someday as well, but it sure is hard to beat the speed of a blade.

/ Patiently waiting... #10  
:welcome:

Waiting is always the hardest part!