Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    330
    Location
    NW WA State
    Tractor
    1980 AC 5020

    Default Always goes to newest post?

    I don't check in but once a week or so. When I open a new thread it will open to the newest post, every time. In my options I have it set to show Linear-Oldest first, which it does, BUT it will always jump to the newest post, even if it's on the 4th page. I have to wait for it to completly load the page, then I have to make jump to the first page, or the top of the page if it's only one page.

    Monte

  2. #2
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    576
    Location
    Sedro Woolley, WA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400 (gear driven)

    Default Re: Always goes to newest post?

    That's the way it's supposed to work. It displays the oldest message at the top and newest on the bottom. And when you open a thread it should take you to earliest post in the thread which you have not seen yet.

    If you always want a thread to open at the top...I think you would have to either not be logged in or maybe have cookies turned off (but neither is a good solution). I find this version of forum software to be a little clunky as far as the program placing you at the current post in the thread. Like when you are viewing a group of attachments in a post that's in the middle of the thread and come back to thread it always jumps you back to the newest post instead of the one in the middle with all the attachments you were looking at.

  3. #3
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,409
    Location
    Northwest, WA

    Default Re: Always goes to newest post?

    This works for me....
    Last edited by Willl; 02-03-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

    My Photobucket

  4. #4
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    330
    Location
    NW WA State
    Tractor
    1980 AC 5020

    Default Re: Always goes to newest post?

    Quote Originally Posted by Willl
    This works for me....
    Hmm, yeah, I suppose that does work. Work arounds for annoying "features" always seems odd to me at best. Thanks.

    Monte

  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    330
    Location
    NW WA State
    Tractor
    1980 AC 5020

    Default Re: Always goes to newest post?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimon
    That's the way it's supposed to work. It displays the oldest message at the top and newest on the bottom. And when you open a thread it should take you to earliest post in the thread which you have not seen yet.
    It's still annoying. I visit at least one other vBulletin forum that doesn't always force you to the newest post. Using "Mark All Read" like the other poster suggested is a work around for clunky programming.

    And if it's supposed to take me to the earliest post in the thread that I haven't seen yet, it's broken. I can open a multi page thread that I've never opened before and it'll go the the lasted/newest post, not the earliest post that I have not seen yet, which would be the first one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimon
    If you always want a thread to open at the top...I think you would have to either not be logged in or maybe have cookies turned off (but neither is a good solution).
    I agree, not good solutions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimon
    I find this version of forum software to be a little clunky as far as the program placing you at the current post in the thread. Like when you are viewing a group of attachments in a post that's in the middle of the thread and come back to thread it always jumps you back to the newest post instead of the one in the middle with all the attachments you were looking at.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, there must be a solution. As I said, I visit at least one other vBulletin forum that doesn't do this.

    Monte
    Monte

    2007 NH TC30 w/FEL, 6' box blade, 6' back blade, 6' Mott F6 flail mower, 6' chain harrow, 6' rock rake, Pat's Easy Change, looking for a 6' snow blower

  6. #6
    Veteran Member BillyP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,769
    Location
    Eagletown, OK
    Tractor
    JD 4610 ehydro MFWD

    Default Re: Always goes to newest post?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimon
    That's the way it's supposed to work. It displays the oldest message at the top and newest on the bottom. And when you open a thread it should take you to earliest post in the thread which you have not seen yet.

    If you always want a thread to open at the top...I think you would have to either not be logged in or maybe have cookies turned off (but neither is a good solution). I find this version of forum software to be a little clunky as far as the program placing you at the current post in the thread. Like when you are viewing a group of attachments in a post that's in the middle of the thread and come back to thread it always jumps you back to the newest post instead of the one in the middle with all the attachments you were looking at.
    I guess it's working fine for me. It always jumps to the first post I haven't viewed yet. If it didn't I'd stay lost all the time and would be rereading a lot of posts.

    As far as viewing attachments, it doesn't matter if it's the first. middle or last post on the page. If I click on the attachment and then click Back, it always brings me back to the post where that attachment was. Actually I use Firefox and middle click attachments and they open in a new window. Which by the way any attachment should do that as default.

  7. #7
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    330
    Location
    NW WA State
    Tractor
    1980 AC 5020

    Default Re: Always goes to newest post?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyP
    I guess it's working fine for me. It always jumps to the first post I haven't viewed yet. If it didn't I'd stay lost all the time and would be rereading a lot of posts.

    As far as viewing attachments, it doesn't matter if it's the first. middle or last post on the page. If I click on the attachment and then click Back, it always brings me back to the post where that attachment was.
    It's never worked that way for me, always goes to the newest post, not the first post I haven't seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyP
    Actually I use Firefox and middle click attachments and they open in a new window. Which by the way any attachment should do that as default.
    I use SeaMonkey, created by the same group that does Firefox. Middle clicking attachments is what I've always done. It's a different topic, but if you have "Show Images" checked in Options, the attachments should be visible in the thread. Hopefully it's fixed shortly.

    Monte
    Monte

    2007 NH TC30 w/FEL, 6' box blade, 6' back blade, 6' Mott F6 flail mower, 6' chain harrow, 6' rock rake, Pat's Easy Change, looking for a 6' snow blower

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    24
    Location
    East Tn
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 24

    Default Re: Always goes to newest post?

    I use Mozilla and I have the same problem sometimes. A few minutes ago I went back and logged out and then logged back in except this time I checked remember me. It now works as it should. I've always said computers have a mind of their own.
    BX24, Woods Rototiller, ATI Grapple, Bro-Tek Thumb, Markham tooth bar, Dr All Terrain Mower

  9. #9
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    330
    Location
    NW WA State
    Tractor
    1980 AC 5020

    Default Re: Always goes to newest post?

    Quote Originally Posted by ourplace_Tn
    I use Mozilla and I have the same problem sometimes. A few minutes ago I went back and logged out and then logged back in except this time I checked remember me. It now works as it should. I've always said computers have a mind of their own.
    Tried logout and logon, didn't help. Remember me is checked.
    Monte

    2007 NH TC30 w/FEL, 6' box blade, 6' back blade, 6' Mott F6 flail mower, 6' chain harrow, 6' rock rake, Pat's Easy Change, looking for a 6' snow blower

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.