Status
Not open for further replies.
   / New User Moderators #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
Greetings,

As you know, over the past few months, the number of users and posts to the forums has increased quite a bit... with now over 500 posts per day on average.

To help assist in usual moderation duties, several users have been appointed moderators of various different sections of the site.

Moderators have the ability to edit posts for formatting issues, and delete posts that violate our terms of service (advertising, flaming, insults, etc). The moderation will be the same from the new moderators as it has been from myself over the past four years.

These members need no introduction, but you should know that they will also now be assisting with moderation, and identified with moderator titles.

John Miller, III
Roger_Scotty

Several more moderators may be added soon, as well. You might notice now if a post is marked as edited by one of the users listed above, it's because they are moderators and have that ability.

You can also do your part and help us keep the content of the forum at the highest level, by using the "notify moderator" feature (
notifymod.gif
) attached to each post, when you see a message you think the moderators should look at.

/ New User Moderators #2  
Taken from the Terms of Use:

TractorByNet.com has the right to delete, edit, or decline to publish any information provided by those accessing the site at any time and for any reason or that TractorByNet.com in its sole discretion deems to be unacceptable.

<font color=blue>The moderation will be the same from the new moderators as it has been from myself over the past four years.</font color=blue>

It would seem that by your own terms of use and by your own latest actions that these moderators could delete anything they choose.

If you delete this post, you can delete my account.

/ New User Moderators
<font color=blue>It would seem that by your own terms of use and by your own latest actions that these moderators could delete anything they choose.</font color=blue>

No, moderators follow a set of guidelines of their own, that tells them what they should and should not do. That does not include "delete anything you want" and I don't think anybody who has been a member of this forum for any amount of time would expect that. Moderators aren't allowed to abuse their privileges, just as users are not allowed to abuse their privileges.

/ New User Moderators #4  
The part of the quoted sentence that was supposed to stand out was:

<font color=blue>by your own latest actions</font color=blue>

I was trying to be subtle about the fact that you chose to delete the posts that prompted you to start this thread. Maybe I should have used italics.

Could you clarify what privileges exactly that I am abusing?

I really like this site, and I want to stick around - but I'm not about to clam up.

/ New User Moderators #5  
pbenven,

I thought he answered you, that it was simply because of formatting issues that the post or thread was amended. Maybe I missed something...

It seems to me perfectly reasonable for Muhammad to enlist assistance in watching over up to 700+ posts A DAY. All of those TBN members he has selected as moderators have demonstrated over thosuands of their own posts, excellent knowlege of the management needs of the forum.

You have been around long enough too, to realize that while a lot gets discussed here, TBN is definitely NOT one of those no-holds-barred, screaming-flame discussion boards. Ain't going to happen.

I think to look deeply for some "offense" here is simply trying to write a new Shakepearean scene in "Much Ado About Nothing." <bg>

/ New User Moderators #6  
Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't know how you could have done such a great job for this long as it is. Keep up the great work, it is much appreciated.

/ New User Moderators #7  
<font color=blue>Maybe I missed something</font color=blue>

You tell me.

Another user notices a thread that has been edited by a different user than who originally posted it.

Muhammad replies to our queries by saying that there are 7 other members who have moderator access.

I sent a message of protest in my next post because I thought this was a rather sneaky way of doing things. I think it should have been announced ahead of time with the reasons these users were selected and what exactly their responsibilities entail. But no, I'm sure if Harv had remembered to remove that blessed check mark from the "Mark thread as edited box," or if the other user hadn't had said something, we would have been none the wiser.

What happens next? Mine and a couple of other users' posts are deleted. No vulgarity, no insults, no flaming.

I think it would be a stretch to find better people as moderators than those listed above. If you think that's my issue then you've missed the point completely.

/ New User Moderators #8  
For the record, Muhammad, I think it's terrific that you're getting some help, and quality people to boot. This is the best forum I have ever been a member of so keep doing whatever you're doing and with our thanks.

/ New User Moderators #9  
Outstanding... both in Muhammad's efforts to date and the methods used to keep up with the tremendous growth of this site. I have every confidence the newly appointed moderators will maintain the same standards for the board. Congratulations to Harv, John, Mike and Roger /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ New User Moderators #10  
I sent Muhammad a PM with my feelings about this issue, but I agree with pbenven. We should not have found out about the user moderators because I raised the issue of one user editing another user's message. Even if it was just for formating, I had no way of knowing what Harv added, subtracted or changed or how he had the ability to do it.

This isn't personnal towards Harv or anyone else, this isn't about whether TBN is a great site or not and it's not about whether Muhammad needs help. It is about one member having the ability to change another member's post without that member having pre-knowledge that it could happen or why it might happen.

Deleting the "Ugly Kubota" thread was also unnecessary since nothing in the thread violated the user agreement.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.