TBN Stealth Mode

/ TBN Stealth Mode #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
There really ought to be a TBN stealth mode for use at work. The huge blinking <A target="_blank" HREF=http://tractorbynet.com/images/ads/cvr_save_anm.gif>gif</A> at the top of every page is sure a dead giveaway that I am not doing something work related! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ TBN Stealth Mode #2  
I'm convinced that the Internet as we know it would collapse if the bosses ever figure how to stop folks from surfing at work./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Chris

/ TBN Stealth Mode #3  
Why should anyone be paid to work, and then be doing something else? I don't understand how this is any different than walking into a store and removing merchandise without paying for it. Sorry if I embarass anyone, but what gives?
Now I am not completely without guilt, as I did take personal phone calls and even made some when it involved the family. But certainly couldn't justify getting onto an internet site unrelated to work during working hours. I didn't have that kind of time on my hands, for one thing. Are there work situations where someone is paid to do nothing for the "boss", and therefore can pass the time on the internet? I had a secretary who would read a book when we didn't have something for her to do (she was so fast, hard to keep work in front of her), and I thought that was fine. Maybe there is something wrong with me. I am retired now, so I just take time away from myself when I get on the internet. And I enjoy the TBN information exchange very much. Not many sites are as interesting. Meaning I wouldn't want to lose anyone to their work.

/ TBN Stealth Mode #4  
OK, I openly admit (as long as I'm here at home) that I frequent TBN at work. We have a high end internet system so I can have several internet windows open simultaneously. One is always TBN. I check in several times a day, often only reading recent messages, occasionally replying. I haven't timed it but each visit is probably less than a couple of minutes and I don't have to leave my desk. Compare this to the smokers at work who get up from their desk, walk to the door, light up, smoke and chat with their fellow smokers for several minutes then return and repeat throughout the day. I don't feel too bad about my addiction but a stealth mode would be nice /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ TBN Stealth Mode
<font color=blue>...how this is any different than walking into a store and removing merchandise without paying for it.</font color=blue>

I meant this post as a joke, but since you asked...

Your analogy might be true for wage earners (although I have my doubts there as well), but not salaried people, at least in IT. Salaried people are paid to get a job done and not put hours in. In IT we are often asked to work nights, weekends and holidays and are on call 24 hours a day, all unpaid. It's part of the job. To quibble over the time someone spends surfing the Internet invites a 'tit for tat' war where people start tracking all their time, both at work, at home, on the road with a cell phone. In such a war, no one wins. If someone isn't getting their job done, missing due dates, etc., then I look for reasons, e.g., surfing the Internet, coming in late, leaving early, etc. Almost my entire personnel evaluation criterium is, "Is the person getting the job done", not how many hours they put in.

/ TBN Stealth Mode #6  
I understand what you are saying beenthere and no, I don't think there is anything wrong with you. I can tell you have strong work ethics and that is something to be proud of. I too pride myself on my work ethics. I give my company a good day's work plus some in my opinion.

However, I do get butt time during the day and I do get on the internet at least a couple of times a day. Personal internet usage is allowed as long as the priviledge is not abused. That is to say, visiting inappropriate websites or extensive use. Our internet usage is monitored and recorded, so that gives one a lot of incentive not to abuse the priviledge. On more than one occasion the "high end users" have been identified and not making that list is even more incentive to practice moderation.

All that said, I agree with MikePA about the need for discretion. Fortunately, in my case I have a good 3-4 seconds grace period before I am caught surfing the 'net. I have learned to keep my cursor near the magic X in case I hear the door to my break room/office open so I can close the window immediately if needed! The bosses know we go online and it is accepted but it is kinda like if they don't see it we don't get a lecture about it. I guess that sounds contradictory but that is the way it is where I work...

Chris

/ TBN Stealth Mode #7  
I agree with you, and don't have a problem with that. My analogy was a bit harsh (often happens with me). I also believe that the work done is the most important, albeit the hardest to measure (and I have always had problems with 'bean counters'). Thanks for the return message.

/ TBN Stealth Mode #8  
I for sure agree with the 'smoker' time outs. Very unproductive time spent. That's a habit I am thankful I was never afflicted with, and feel sorry for those who are (or were) afflicted. Reminds me of when I once watched a girl on a construction crew attempt to smoke a cigarette while holding a shovel when concrete was pouring out of a concrete truck. She was having some difficulty trying to accomplish both - the cigarette was getting most of her attention.

/ TBN Stealth Mode #9  
When I was in basic training, the nco in charge would call for a smoke break. I didn't smoke and I would get some kind of chore to do while all the smokers were smoking. I finally would go get a coke. When I was questioned I said I was taking my coke break. It worked.

/ TBN Stealth Mode #10  
BT

You have obviously never worked in the public service /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

They never had the net on when I worked there but if it was I bet surfing would rank up there with sickies and smoko breaks !!

Cheers