annoying unregistered posters

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / annoying unregistered posters #1  

wasabi

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT2445 and PT1850
I've noticed several posts by unregistered (former lurkers?) folks of late that seem intent on provoking for the sake of it. Although I rarely reward such nonesense with a reaction, I'm curious why TBN registration is not required before posting....may stave off some of these childish antics that we occasionally see on this otherwise orderly and quite civil site.

/ annoying unregistered posters #2  
Ditto - although they are a small percentage of users, registered or not - I notice they don't stay long, especially if confronted. Seems to fit a profile.

Oops - I said profile!

/ annoying unregistered posters #3  
While I agree with you about some of the posts of late, I'd hate to see even one potential quality member or contributer put off by a registration requirement.

/ annoying unregistered posters #4  
It's really only a matter of time before we go to required registration.

/ annoying unregistered posters #5  
Really? Might I ask why - this type of stuff? Managing traffic?

/ annoying unregistered posters #6  
Managing trolls, for one. That commitment of an e-mail address (although easy to get them) helps a bit. Plus, it's much easier to get rid of them based on username than IP address.

Also, basically all new features now will require registration.

We have no-spam policies, don't sell or share e-mail addresses, and the process takes about 10 seconds to complete. The excuse just isn't there for users to not register now.

/ annoying unregistered posters #7  
Thought so, and agree. New features? We're listening.............

/ annoying unregistered posters #8  
Anyone ever read the message boards on yahoo? registration is required there and it is about the *worst* place to find a civil conversation about anything...registration really doesn't do much to help the yahoo boards remain useful....can't imagine they would add much benefit here either.

BTW: I have found some of the *registered* users here to be just as annoying.../w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif.

/ annoying unregistered posters #9  
Ditto, and ditto.

I am not a "chat room" type; too much work to do. But the group I've found here has kept me coming back. I'm only now getting into the non-tractor stuff, and finding out a little more about "personalities" (and they, about me). I find quite a lot of civility here, and I am very impressed by it. I would guess that regardless of political opinions, this group is basically a hard working, no nonsense bunch of adults. It also appears that this site is constantly administered - a full time job, I'd guess.

/ annoying unregistered posters #10  
Well put Knucklehead, but remember there are always people out there willing to ruin a good thing for no reason. Let's not let them do it. I support whatever needs to be done to keep this great forum going. Where else would I get such great advise? Thanks to the gentlemen who invested time, and money on this site. Hardworking people have strong opinions, and beliefs too. Good Luck Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.