A Way To Adjust Screen?

/ A Way To Adjust Screen? #1  

jimainiac

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
Sometimes lately, when I click on a dscussion, the posts are too wide for the screen, so that I have to drag it back and forth to read the posts. I assume it's because the original poster used a wide screen computer. I wonder if there is a way to overcome this by changing some setting? Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

/ A Way To Adjust Screen? #2  
I think it's because the thread you were viewing had a picture in it that was wider then your screen.

What browser are you using ?

/ A Way To Adjust Screen? #3  
What screen resolution is your monitor set to? It used to be standard to set them to 800 x 600 but since most people are getting larger monitors these days, 1024 x 768 seems to work better on most websites. That is what mine is set to and the only time I experience what you describe is when someone posts a large picture in-line instead of as an attachment and that blows the window out to the left.

/ A Way To Adjust Screen?
Thanks for the suggestions. The browser is IE8 and the screen resolution is set at 1024x768 on an 18 inch monitor. I'll have to check and see if it has to do with a picture in the post.

/ A Way To Adjust Screen? #5  
I have same problem, Folks like to use all their megapixtels when all that is needed is 600 x 800 or 1 meg for a clear view.
I simply blow away any pics that are too large as I am on dial up and refuse to see all the trees and background that many include in their pics.

Wish that TBN could have a system that refused any oversized pics.

PS, I have no options, only dial up available unless I go to satellite, and |I am sure that I am not alone being in a rural area.
Providers all say that the answer is wireless technology but there are no towers near me.

/ A Way To Adjust Screen? #6  
It would be nice if INLINE pictures were constrained to 640x480. However I MUCH prefer to have pictures as thumbnails which I can then open if I am interested in seeing them. This will also make the page load faster as there is less data to transfer on the initial pageload.

As a workaround for the inconsiderate people who insist on putting a 1920x1200 picture (or pictures) inline on their posts: You can hold down the CTRL key and then scroll up or down with the scroll wheel of your mouse or press CTRL and + or -. This will zoom in or out on the page and make the text/pictures larger or smaller.

Aaron Z
(Who reads TBN on 2 17" CRT monitors set to 1152x864 at home and 2 19" LCD monitors set to 1280x1024 at work and STILL finds threads with picture that are wider than his screen)

/ A Way To Adjust Screen? #7  
On Internet Explorer, there is a little box in the the lower right corner, probably showing 100% right now. Click on the pulldown arrow and set the magnification to 75% or smaller It will reduce the screen window size for the IE application. You can go the other way, too if you ever need a bit more magnification. Another way is to reduce the text size in IE. That's under the View menu (between Edit and Favorites), 8 lines down.

I have same problem, Folks like to use all their megapixtels when all that is needed is 600 x 800 or 1 meg for a clear view.
I simply blow away any pics that are too large as I am on dial up and refuse to see all the trees and background that many include in their pics.

Wish that TBN could have a system that refused any oversized pics.

PS, I have no options, only dial up available unless I go to satellite, and |I am sure that I am not alone being in a rural area.
Providers all say that the answer is wireless technology but there are no towers near me.

I agree with you about people sending gigantic size picture files. We're on cable internet, but when people include giant file size pictures in emails it bogs it down or crashes it. There's no need of it either. We installed a free thing from Microsoft that will resize the pictures before sending. Whenever we go to send a picture with an email a box appears asking if you want to make the pictures smaller. I wish more people would take advantage of that feature.
I sympathise with your problem of the choice between dial-up or satellite. We will face that choice when we make our permanent move the the mountains, unless technology improves in the meantime.

Thank you, aczlan and zzvyb6, for those tips for changing the screen size and type size. I also would prefer it if people just included the pictures as thumbnails.

/ A Way To Adjust Screen? #10  
It would be great if everyone posting a photo would use a program called Pixresizer by bluefin. It would save a lot of hassle for people still using dial-up connections. The best thing about Pixresizer is thats it's FREE ! :D