Links Imbedded in Posts

/ Links Imbedded in Posts #1  

polo1665

Tractor
Branson 3510H, John Deere X750
The last few times I've been on TBN I have noticed links to websites imbedded in various posts in threads I've been reading. I do realize that posters sometimes include links in thier posts, but this does not seem to be the case with these links. The links are simply a word in the text of the post that is highlited green and underlined twice. I have attached a screen shot as an example. I ran across this one and another this morning. This particular link (the word vehicle) will take you to Edmunds, a website for used car prices.
Is this just a problem with my browser?

Mark

Attachments

• tbnscreenII.bmp
    883.6 KB · Views: 102
   / Links Imbedded in Posts #2  
You can use Tiny URL - create a shorter link

Pm the guys in the bmp and see what they use they will tell you.

If you dont know the icon world with the chain on it is the link tool in the tool bar, hover over the icons and it will tell them what they are for.

tom

/ Links Imbedded in Posts #3  
Here is how I do it...
I use FireFox, having "tabs" makes it a little easier...

-Type your reply as you normally would, except I always make my LINKS a capital letters, but that is not required.
-Go to the other tab and "copy" the URL of the link you want to include (right click, copy)
-Return to your reply window, and Highlight the word/s you want to appear as the link (drag mouse accrossed it)
-When the word is highlighted, click the "insert link" button at the top of the reply window (picture of the world with links on it) A pop-up will open.
-In the pop-up, "paste" your link then click OK, the highlighted word is now a URL link.

/ Links Imbedded in Posts #4  
I went to that same thread and it doesn't happen on my computer. My guess, it is one of your tool bars doing it. Google, Yahoo or your Verizon "tool" bar. Each of which is designed to sell ads... and why I never download them.

Last edited:
   / Links Imbedded in Posts
I when to that same thread and it doesn't happen on my computer. My guess it is one of your tool bars doing it. Google, Yahoo or your Verizon "tool" bar. Each of which is designed to sell ads... and why I never download them.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check it out.

/ Links Imbedded in Posts #6  
I when to that same thread and it doesn't happen on my computer. My guess it is one of your tool bars doing it. Google, Yahoo or your Verizon "tool" bar. Each of which is designed to sell ads... and why I never download them.

I think you are correct, I misread the OP's question and thought he was looking for info on how to include them hence my previous reply.

That is way to many toolbars! I only have the Google one and do not have the problem with links.

I think you need to run Ad-aware and/or MalwareByte on your machine.

/ Links Imbedded in Posts #7  
Slightly OT, but when you save a screen shot or picture to post online, can you please choose JPEG, GIF, TIFF or PNG (as seen in the red box on the picture below) wather than a Bitmap (BMP) format.
SaveAsNonBMP.PNG
They are not only smaller (thus they load faster) but they will open inside a browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) rather than having to be downloaded and opened outside the browser.

Aaron Z

/ Links Imbedded in Posts #8  
Yeah, it looks like ad ware... we don't serve ads like that (they are called inline contextual ads) because I find them annoying. My guess is either a toolbar or straight up adware is causing it.

/ Links Imbedded in Posts
I think you are correct, I misread the OP's question and thought he was looking for info on how to include them hence my previous reply.

That is way to many toolbars! I only have the Google one and do not have the problem with links.

I think you need to run Ad-aware and/or MalwareByte on your machine.

O.K. Got rid of the extra tool bars and will look into the attachments you posted. Thanks

Slightly OT, but when you save a screen shot or picture to post online, can you please choose JPEG, GIF, TIFF or PNG (as seen in the red box on the picture below) wather than a Bitmap (BMP) format.
View attachment 150778
They are not only smaller (thus they load faster) but they will open inside a browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) rather than having to be downloaded and opened outside the browser.

Aaron Z

Can do, didn't realize there was a difference. For cripes sakes, I was pretty proud of myself for even remembering how to capture a screen shot :D
Thanks for the education.

Yeah, it looks like ad ware... we don't serve ads like that (they are called inline contextual ads) because I find them annoying. My guess is either a toolbar or straight up adware is causing it.

It didn't start until recently and does not happen at my work PC, so I figured it was some sort of "ware". Hopefully I've taken care of it.

Thanks again all

Mark

/ Links Imbedded in Posts #10  
Can do, didn't realize there was a difference. For cripes sakes, I was pretty proud of myself for even remembering how to capture a screen shot :D
Thanks for the education

It doesn't take any extra time to use the other formats (less actually when you count upload time) and just makes things easier for everyone, but most people don't know about them, so (being as I dislike having to download the files) I try to help people to use the tools at hand better.

Thanks

Aaron Z