Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3510H, Simplicity SunStar

Default Links Imbedded in Posts

The last few times I've been on TBN I have noticed links to websites imbedded in various posts in threads I've been reading. I do realize that posters sometimes include links in thier posts, but this does not seem to be the case with these links. The links are simply a word in the text of the post that is highlited green and underlined twice. I have attached a screen shot as an example. I ran across this one and another this morning. This particular link (the word vehicle) will take you to Edmunds, a website for used car prices.
    Is this just a problem with my browser?

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hast weh getan, hast gut getan

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

Default Re: Links Imbedded in Posts

You can use Tiny URL - create a shorter link

Pm the guys in the bmp and see what they use they will tell you.

If you dont know the icon world with the chain on it is the link tool in the tool bar, hover over the icons and it will tell them what they are for.

tom
    If it ain't broke we will help you brake it
    If it is broke we will help you get it fixed!

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.t.mussington

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Here is how I do it...
    I use FireFox, having "tabs" makes it a little easier...

-Type your reply as you normally would, except I always make my LINKS a capital letters, but that is not required.
    -Go to the other tab and "copy" the URL of the link you want to include (right click, copy)
    -Return to your reply window, and Highlight the word/s you want to appear as the link (drag mouse accrossed it)
    -When the word is highlighted, click the "insert link" button at the top of the reply window (picture of the world with links on it) A pop-up will open.
    -In the pop-up, "paste" your link then click OK, the highlighted word is now a URL link.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Tractor
    L2800.

I went to that same thread and it doesn't happen on my computer. My guess, it is one of your tool bars doing it. Google, Yahoo or your Verizon "tool" bar. Each of which is designed to sell ads... and why I never download them.
    Last edited by teg; 01-02-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by teg View Post
    I when to that same thread and it doesn't happen on my computer. My guess it is one of your tool bars doing it. Google, Yahoo or your Verizon "tool" bar. Each of which is designed to sell ads... and why I never download them.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check it out.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Quote Originally Posted by teg View Post
    I when to that same thread and it doesn't happen on my computer. My guess it is one of your tool bars doing it. Google, Yahoo or your Verizon "tool" bar. Each of which is designed to sell ads... and why I never download them.
    I think you are correct, I misread the OP's question and thought he was looking for info on how to include them hence my previous reply.

That is way to many toolbars! I only have the Google one and do not have the problem with links.

I think you need to run Ad-aware and/or MalwareByte on your machine.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Slightly OT, but when you save a screen shot or picture to post online, can you please choose JPEG, GIF, TIFF or PNG (as seen in the red box on the picture below) wather than a Bitmap (BMP) format.
    -saveasnonbmp-png
    They are not only smaller (thus they load faster) but they will open inside a browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) rather than having to be downloaded and opened outside the browser.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    None currently

Yeah, it looks like ad ware... we don't serve ads like that (they are called inline contextual ads) because I find them annoying. My guess is either a toolbar or straight up adware is causing it.
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
    I think you are correct, I misread the OP's question and thought he was looking for info on how to include them hence my previous reply.

That is way to many toolbars! I only have the Google one and do not have the problem with links.

I think you need to run Ad-aware and/or MalwareByte on your machine.
    O.K. Got rid of the extra tool bars and will look into the attachments you posted. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    Slightly OT, but when you save a screen shot or picture to post online, can you please choose JPEG, GIF, TIFF or PNG (as seen in the red box on the picture below) wather than a Bitmap (BMP) format.
    -saveasnonbmp-png
    They are not only smaller (thus they load faster) but they will open inside a browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) rather than having to be downloaded and opened outside the browser.

Aaron Z
    Can do, didn't realize there was a difference. For cripes sakes, I was pretty proud of myself for even remembering how to capture a screen shot
    Thanks for the education.

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad View Post
    Yeah, it looks like ad ware... we don't serve ads like that (they are called inline contextual ads) because I find them annoying. My guess is either a toolbar or straight up adware is causing it.
    It didn't start until recently and does not happen at my work PC, so I figured it was some sort of "ware". Hopefully I've taken care of it.

Thanks again all

Mark

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by polo1665 View Post
    Can do, didn't realize there was a difference. For cripes sakes, I was pretty proud of myself for even remembering how to capture a screen shot
    Thanks for the education
    It doesn't take any extra time to use the other formats (less actually when you count upload time) and just makes things easier for everyone, but most people don't know about them, so (being as I dislike having to download the files) I try to help people to use the tools at hand better.

Thanks

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love