Notification of updates to subscribed threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Notification of updates to subscribed threads. #1  

Reg

Elite Member
A couple of us have been having a problem with getting e-mail notification of updates to the threads we are subscribed to.
We have been exchanging messages on this and right now I am totally convinced that all my settings are correct and I am not spam-blocking any messages from tbn or the whole domain.
Point is; It USED TO WORK.

So, anyone else have this problem ?
When did it start ?
Who is your ISP ? (verizon, earthlink, MS, etc)
Anything else you can think of that might help pin this down ?

/ Notification of updates to subscribed threads. #2  
My update problem has been a different one.
Often I'll get the same message repeated 3,4 and even 5 times per update.
Puzzling!
Oh, and some end up in spam with majority in regular in box.

/ Notification of updates to subscribed threads. #3  
I subscribed to this thread when I saw it and just got a notification...

/ Notification of updates to subscribed threads.
I subscribed to this thread when I saw it and just got a notification...

but Muhammad.... you almost certainly have all kinds of super user privs ?
If your mail is not on the same system, it is most probably on the same domain ? {Guessing}.

There is some evidence that at least two of us who are not getting notifications are on the same ISP - not that TWO of us is weighty evidence (-:

I did not receive notification of my root post (maybe I shouldn't expect that), or the two updates to it.

I am looking at the additional options panel at the bottom of this page NOW and yes I am subscribed to this thread and instant email notification is selected as the Notification Type:

/ Notification of updates to subscribed threads. #5  
Lets see if I get email notification for this.

/ Notification of updates to subscribed threads. #6  
but Muhammad.... you almost certainly have all kinds of super user privs ?
If your mail is not on the same system, it is most probably on the same domain ? {Guessing}.

There is some evidence that at least two of us who are not getting notifications are on the same ISP - not that TWO of us is weighty evidence (-:
Possibly the problem lies with your ISP? If TBN is sending out emails to one person, they will go to all. If two people with the same ISP are having issues, it may be the fault of the ISP spam filters.

I did not receive notification of my root post (maybe I shouldn't expect that), or the two updates to it.
IIRC, you will not get notification of your own posts, but you should get it when others post to the thread

Aaron Z

/ Notification of updates to subscribed threads. #7  
I get emails like these regularly it sort of looks like the multiple postings gets trimmed in the forum before they get published.

Sam's posts and one other thread that I subscribe to do it i just ignore them.

I'm thinking its some sort of wireless connection on the posters end but that is an eudgemakated guess.

tom

You are subscribed to the thread "Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build" by SamWalton, there have been 7 post(s) to this thread, the last poster was SamWalton.
Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build - TractorByNet.com

These following posts were made to the thread:
Re: Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build - Page 27 - TractorByNet.com
Posted by: mjncad
On: 03-01-2010 01:21 AM

---Quote (Originally by sajurcaju)---
Some pics of the water leaks in our Terra Dome house in Maine. Steve
---End Quote---

That sucks about the leaks Steve. Water is amazing stuff when it comes to finding a way into a structure. It turns out the clown who built our house is notorious for building houses with water leaks. I flat out told him one time that he should advertise his houses as coming with indoor swimming pools. Let us know how you do in finding and plugging the leaks.

---Quote (Originally by SamWalton)---
I have a question? What should one do if your cameras identify trespassers? We don't know who they are yet but I think we should be careful not to make matters worse.
---End Quote---

Are your trespassers nosy Looky Lou's, or are they vandalizing and stealing stuff? If the latter, I wouldn't hesitate to take a copy of the video to the cops. If the former, I'd ask the cops and/or your insurance agent for their opinion. If either are worth a crap, they should be able to give you some advice.
Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build - Page 28 - TractorByNet.com
Posted by: SamWalton
On: 03-01-2010 06:43 PM

---Quote (Originally by mjncad)---
Are your trespassers nosy Looky Lou's
---End Quote---
Yes, so far we haven't had and damage or losses but now that we have evidence of trespassers, I think it is a good time to beef up security by moving cameras to better locations and finding a better lock for our sea container and stop in for security check more frequently.
Anyone with advice on lock systems or other methods of securing our property and materials please let us know.
Thanks
Sam

A few night shots

---End Quote---
Yes, so far we haven't had and damage or losses but now that we have evidence of trespassers, I think it is a good time to beef up security by moving cameras to better locations and finding a better lock for our sea container and stop in for security check more frequently.
Anyone with advice on lock systems or other methods of securing our property and materials please let us know.
Thanks
Sam

A few night shots

---End Quote---
Thanks
Sam

A few night shots

---End Quote---
Thanks
Sam

A few night shots

---End Quote---
Thanks
Sam

A few night shots

---End Quote---
Thanks
Sam

A few night shots

All the best,
TractorByNet.com

Possibly the problem lies with your ISP? If TBN is sending out emails to one person, they will go to all. If two people with the same ISP are having issues, it may be the fault of the ISP spam filters.

IIRC, you will not get notification of your own posts, but you should get it when others post to the thread

Aaron Z

That is what I am trying to accumulate evidence for/against.
TWO could be coincidence, ten or twenty would be a stronger indicator.
I honestly don't remember what the TBN notification norm was, some sites notify on one's own posts, even root posts, others don't, there is probably some number of rules that can be set/unset for this.

I will try changing my profile to see if I can get notifications on a different e-mail address, although it will be via the same ISP.

Thanks to everyone who has posted to this thread.

EDIT:
I had meant to say that if my ISP is blocking TBN e-mail I want to a) know about it and b) want to stop it.
I am not (yet) FURIOUS, but probably will become so if I find out that they are arbitrarily blocking ANYONE from......

Oh ohhh, I just remembered something; There is a "reason for suspicion" that a message might be spam if the distribution list is too big.
THIS thread is new and has very few subscribers receiving notification, but in the past I have subscribed to threads that have had MANY contributors, most of whom probably received the same messages, i.e. went out with LONG distribution lists.
That MIGHT have been a reason for an ISP to identify TBN as a spammer ?
I am trying to remember if my notifications stopped around the time of the global warming thread - about 900 replies the last time I looked, harbor freight tools that don't suck is on my list too ~904.

Even so, I would PREFER to do my own spam filtering.

Well, I found a setting that MIGHT let "known spam" through and I have set that to let it through.
So IF my ISP is blocking on the basis of distribution list size then MAYBE this will fix it - MAYBE.

tnx.

Last edited:
   / Notification of updates to subscribed threads. #9  
I have been a member for over a year and I have the same problem. Never have received notification of updates. i tried fixing it when I started and couldn't get answers so I gave up trying. Now, I just go through the posts to find if there are any updates.:mad:
Forgot to add my ISP is Bellsouth or now AT@T. The messages do not show up in my spam either.

Last edited:
I have been a member for over a year and I have the same problem. Never have received notification of updates. i tried fixing it when I started and couldn't get answers so I gave up trying. Now, I just go through the posts to find if there are any updates.:mad:
Forgot to add my ISP is Bellsouth or now AT@T. The messages do not show up in my spam either.

Thanks bbirder,
Well, it seems to NOT be my e-mail address, which I swapped earlier today.
It also seems to NOT be the "accept spam" setting that I set earlier today.
It also seems to NOT be my specific ISP, now that we have someone on AT&T with the same problem - two of us are on Earthlink, but two is few enough to only be a coincidence.

So I am left wondering if there is a message traffic cop somewhere that looks at large e-mail distributions, identifies the senders as spammers and just dumps the messages, or blocks the sender.

Say, over 1,000 messages each with a distribution list larger than 500 ?
a formula a bit like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.