Advanced search terms on TBN?

/ Advanced search terms on TBN? #1  

picker77

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3032E, dual remotes, TnT, tooth bar, grapple
Administrators:

I've played with a lot of databases over the years, and I've been experimenting without much success trying to figure out which if any boolean keyword search terms are functional on TBN. Various database schemes use variations, but boolean (AND, OR, NOT, etc.) search terms of some sort are almost always included in keyword search functions. Some possible examples include:

xxxx -yyyy -zzzz (finds all posts containing "xxxx", but ignores those that also contain "yyyy" OR "zzzz")

xxxx +yyyy or xxxx,yyyy (finds only those posts that contain "xxxx" AND "yyyy")

"xxxx+yyyy" (finds ONLY those posts that contain the exact phrase "xxxx yyyy")

What, if any, "advanced" search terms are available on TBN and where might I find a list of them? I'm getting a little tired of searching for something specific and coming up with 500 posts to hunt through. :)

/ Advanced search terms on TBN? #2  
Like you, I have been struggling with the TBN search function. If I try to do a fairly simple search on, say, "loaded tires", the returned search results give me hundreds of posts that contain the word "loaded" in addition to hundreds of posts that contain the word "tires". As a result, I do most of my TBN searching through Google. Using my tires example, I would do a Google search for

"loaded tires" site:tractorbynet.com

and link back to the TBN posts from the Google results. At least this way I would find posts that actually contain the entire phrase and not just individual words from the phrase.

Perhaps I'm just not aware of how the TBN search function is designed. Although I am a newer member, I have been using this site for quite a while before actually registering as a user. Any search advice would be appreciated here.

/ Advanced search terms on TBN? #3  
I use Google also to search the site unless it's a simple one word search:thumbsup:

/ Advanced search terms on TBN?
I posted the question on this Feedback forum thinking it was the right place to get some feedback. Unfortunately the question has pretty much been ignored by the admin folks. I know they are busy, but maybe one of them could speak up on this. Surely there must be some search terms available that will narrow results down. TBN is getting way too big to do productive searches with simple keywords. Maybe I need to start "bumping" this thread to the top every couple of days until somebody in admin picks up on it...

Muhammad, are you out there?

/ Advanced search terms on TBN? #5  
most modern forum software packages use prescribed limits on database query parameters to limit bandwith usage but more importantly to curtail unwanted harmful activity...i..e., SQL injection etc...

It makes searching much less intuitive but keeping the database secure is paramount...and they do allow you to adjust several parameters via the drop down menus in the Options section...

/ Advanced search terms on TBN? #6  
Sorry, I didn't see this thread when it was posted...

We are somewhat limited by the forum software's search capabilities, which to be honest aren't the greatest. We will soon be upgrading TBN's forums to the same version of the software we use on LawnMowerForum which seems to be more efficient and allows phrases in quotes.

In the mean time, the google search for site:tractorbynet.com should be pretty effective.

/ Advanced search terms on TBN?
Thankew, Muhammad. I'll look forward to trying the upgraded version. I've also qued up several attachment reviews for when that category becomes available in the Reviews section.

/ Advanced search terms on TBN? #8  
Thankew, Muhammad. I'll look forward to trying the upgraded version. I've also qued up several attachment reviews for when that category becomes available in the Reviews section.

We're hoping to make attachment reviews available within the next three weeks. We're working on that right now, in fact. :thumbsup: