Thread/post editing timeout. Why so short? Why at all?

/ Thread/post editing timeout. Why so short? Why at all? #1  

Domush

Platinum Member
Tractor
1981 Yanmar 336D
Okay, the scenarios go like this (both true, both have happened here):

- I post a how-to with tons of links to pictures, because let's face it, we all love pictures.
- The next morning, I visit the thread to check on replies and notice one of my pictures has somehow gone from 800px wide to 1600px wide, which is now blowing out the entire thread, forcing every post to become one massive side-scrolling line. It essentially made the thread unreadable.

Link to example post (which I would love to fix, but cannot due to this rule):

Now, normally this would be an easy fix, as I can just edit my post and change the linked image to a properly sized one. However this is TBN, where you cannot edit your post after a few hours, so the entire thread is now worthless, as nobody can read the thread and I cannot fix it, even though a fix is a matter of a 10 second edit.

Next example:

- I make a long-term tractor restoration thread (links in my sig)
- As the restoration continues, I'd like to update the title with the current project status. I cannot, because I can't edit the title after a few hours.
- I wish to make an itemized list of to-do items (and their status) in the first post, so newcomers know what is going on and what has been done without reading pages and pages of replies. I cannot edit the first post.
- I finish the project and want to notify others of the completed status via the title.. I cannot for the same reason.

All of these items are common occurrences and all of them are caused by the odd edit timeout enforced here. What is the reason for this odd rule and why is the timeout so short? Not even 24 hours? Most people don't even realize a typo in that time.

It happens quite often when I post something and, the next morning, re-read it and notice a typo or something I stated which read completely different from what I meant. Normally it would be trivial to correct the mistake or spend a few minutes to clarify a statement, but we don't have that option here. The forum seems aimed to set all mistakes and miscommunication in stone, which cannot be to the benefit of anyone.

Please remove the timeout of editing posts and thread titles. At the very least, extend the timeout to 2 weeks or something large.

Last edited:
   / Thread/post editing timeout. Why so short? Why at all? #2  
I wonder if the timeout changes by forum or by user profile?
I think my timeout is 24 hours as I started a thread in trailers and transportation at ~8:30PM yesterday and I can still edit it, but the thread I started at ~11:30AM yesterday on the front porch, I cannot.

Aaron Z

/ Thread/post editing timeout. Why so short? Why at all? #3  
I'm confused. I clicked on your sample link to your tractor restoration, & it loaded fine & looks fine. Your post #23 in it "Big Update Today!" is long & has lots of pics, but they loaded & appear fine. Nothing to fix that I can see.

Am I misunderstanding something?

/ Thread/post editing timeout. Why so short? Why at all? #4  
Oh, & as for the timeout, I wonder if that's actually your own web browser causing that? I started typing a response to someone on here, got interrupted, & came back the next day, clicked submit & it worked fine.

Now I do realize that after a certain amount of time you can no longer edit one of your posts. I believe that is common in both online forums & instant messaging.

/ Thread/post editing timeout. Why so short? Why at all?
I'm confused. I clicked on your sample link to your tractor restoration, & it loaded fine & looks fine. Your post #23 in it "Big Update Today!" is long & has lots of pics, but they loaded & appear fine. Nothing to fix that I can see.

Am I misunderstanding something?

To reproduce the problem, do this:

- Click "My Home" in the top menu
- Click "Edit options"
- Scroll down and adjust "Image width" to anything above 640 pixels
- View that same post again.

There are two problems with this scenario:
A) The custom "image size" limits don't work on this forum
B) when they don't work, there is no workaround, as I can't edit the image size without editing the post itself.

/ Thread/post editing timeout. Why so short? Why at all? #6  
Which image are you referring to? - Edit, I see, the first one. It was resized properly for me
I set my max width to 650 and the only one that is wider is where you have 2 pictures next to each other on the same line (just above "Exact before and after shots").

Aaron Z