Stolen Tractor Registry?

/ Stolen Tractor Registry? #1  

Mudfarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3005, Kubota B2710, Kubota B2650 (sold the ford 1700 and kubota B7100)
I just bought a Kubota B2710 that I found on Craig's List. Although I have no doubts that it is a legitimate purchase from a legitimate former owner it got me thinking about two things.

First, does anyone know if there is a list somewhere of stolen tractor serial numbers that we can refer to when making private buys?

And second, since I am storing this new-to-me tractor on a remote property [in a locked cargo container], what if someone steals it from me? Besides the local police shouldn't there be a database to submit the serial number to?

It was nice buying a "vehicle" with no sales tax and no transfer costs, but unlike a car or truck purchase, there is no paper trail besides my bill of sale. Maybe we all should start a registry of stolen tractors if none exists. If there is such a thing we all ought to promote its use.

Just thinking.
Mf

/ Stolen Tractor Registry? #4  
Good idea!:thumbsup:

/ Stolen Tractor Registry? #5  
Excellent Idea! It wouldn't take much to put together a website even seeing that it would not need to be fancy. You have my vote.

/ Stolen Tractor Registry? #6  
That is a good idea.

A few years ago I purchased a boat from a neighboring state. I wanted to check that the boat was not stolen, so I made some calls to various law enforcement agencies with the serial number of the boat. After probably 6-8 calls it became clear to me that there was simply no way that I was going to be get any answer. Pretty amazing in this day and age...

/ Stolen Tractor Registry? #8  
If anything give info to your insurance agent/company.
Do you plan register tractor?

/ Stolen Tractor Registry? #9  
NER looks like a good idea.

A good way to protect what you own now is full records that include serial numbers and current photos. Be sure your pics are up close and show all the little dings and dents that could help distinguish your machine from others. There are a number of national and state crime information data bases that retain this info when a theft occures. As mentioned eariler, it is difficult to get police to do routine checks of this data for private individuals researching a prospective buy. But - if your stuff is taken, and you provide the PD with your records and pics, there is a much better chance you will see your tractor again.

PS: Metal stamp your initials in an out of the way place on your machine and photograph that too.

/ Stolen Tractor Registry? #10  
I just bought a Kubota B2710 that I found on Craig's List. Although I have no doubts that it is a legitimate purchase from a legitimate former owner it got me thinking about two things.

First, does anyone know if there is a list somewhere of stolen tractor serial numbers that we can refer to when making private buys?

And second, since I am storing this new-to-me tractor on a remote property [in a locked cargo container], what if someone steals it from me? Besides the local police shouldn't there be a database to submit the serial number to?

It was nice buying a "vehicle" with no sales tax and no transfer costs, but unlike a car or truck purchase, there is no paper trail besides my bill of sale. Maybe we all should start a registry of stolen tractors if none exists. If there is such a thing we all ought to promote its use.

Just thinking.
Mf

What better place than right here on TBN! Muhammad? You out there? Just make it another "forum", with appropriate disclaimers of course.

Dennis