Inline Text Ads

/ Inline Text Ads #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
Please don't tell me that TBN has started using inline text ads. I utterly despise those things with a passion. I discovered it after creating a post with the words "riding" and "mower" next to each other, and the following garbage appeared as a link using my own words.

"http://ads.pointroll.com/PortalServe/?pid=1669556C81920120323190729&pos=c&r=[RANDOM]"

I guess now I'll have to start carefully choosing my words so they won't be used as annoying ads. When I want a link in my posts, I'll put it there. What's next? Kontera, Infolinks, and Intellitext? I certainly hope not.

/ Inline Text Ads #2  
Whew - I noticed one a few hours ago here, thought perhaps I got something on my computer, but if others saw it too.... Whew.

--->Paul

/ Inline Text Ads
Unfortunately, it looks like TBN has started using inline text ads. I just saw another one embedded in the first post of the following thread.

Box Blade won't hold position... - TractorByNet.com

One can only hope that it's only on an experimental basis, or that enough users complain and/or the ads don't prove themselves to be viable. I have nothing against TBN making money with ads, it's just that certain kinds of ads really get my blood boiling, with inline text ads being at the top of the list. I'm a "scroller" when I read, and those things make me insane with anger.

/ Inline Text Ads #4  
I agree, they are annoying and make it hard to see if someone posted a link, or if it is an ad link.

Aaron Z

/ Inline Text Ads #5  
I just ignore them.
They help pay the bills, and help keep the site of TBN free to use for all of us.

/ Inline Text Ads #6  
If you would like this disabled, please PM me. We can disable it on an account-by-account basis.

/ Inline Text Ads
I just ignore them.
They help pay the bills, and help keep the site of TBN free to use for all of us.

I don't ignore ads, I block them. Many people don't realize it, but the tracking methods used by many ad servers can present a huge privacy risk, not to mention other problems they often cause, so I take no chances.

Perhaps I haven't noticed it until now, but this has suddenly started appearing in the page source:

"http://cdn.viglink.com/api/vglnk.js"

/ Inline Text Ads #8  
I don't ignore ads, I block them. Many people don't realize it, but the tracking methods used by many ad servers can present a huge privacy risk, not to mention other problems they often cause, so I take no chances.

Perhaps I haven't noticed it until now, but this has suddenly started appearing in the page source:

"http://cdn.viglink.com/api/vglnk.js"

Yes, that's suppose to be there. That's an affiliate linking script.

/ Inline Text Ads #9  
Them being ads is a little disappointing, though if this forum automatically created links to further info or specs/classified ad listings that may be helpful to some.

So, if someone said "my ym336d is smoking", YM336d would get linked to the specs of that tractor with a photo so people would know what that person was referring to. I can see that as extremely helpful, especially to those who are new to a particular tractor.

Seeing as they are ads right now, and you can have them disabled.. why not just make it easier on yourselves and add a setting in vbulletin to disable them instead? People who don't want ads won't click them anyhow, so you aren't losing money, just making people happier.

Don't want to tell you how to do your job, simply sharing some ideas with you. Novel site improvements happens to be my forte (and profession).

/ Inline Text Ads
So, if someone said "my ym336d is smoking", YM336d would get linked to the specs of that tractor with a photo so people would know what that person was referring to. I can see that as extremely helpful, especially to those who are new to a particular tractor.

Having a generated link to specifications would be very helpful. In addition, I also like the ldea of generating tool tips for abbreviations, which they seemed to be experimenting with earlier.

Seeing as they are ads right now, and you can have them disabled.. why not just make it easier on yourselves and add a setting in vbulletin to disable them instead? People who don't want ads won't click them anyhow, so you aren't losing money, just making people happier.

Giving members the ability to disable ads is a great idea. Perhaps there could even be some sort of incentive put into place to encourage people to join/post more. Something like... become a member and create X number of posts before having the ability to disable ads. It's better than a popup. IMO