Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor

Default Inline Text Ads

Please don't tell me that TBN has started using inline text ads. I utterly despise those things with a passion. I discovered it after creating a post with the words "riding" and "mower" next to each other, and the following garbage appeared as a link using my own words.

"http://ads.pointroll.com/PortalServe/?pid=1669556C81920120323190729&pos=c&r=[RANDOM]"

I guess now I'll have to start carefully choosing my words so they won't be used as annoying ads. When I want a link in my posts, I'll put it there. What's next? Kontera, Infolinks, and Intellitext? I certainly hope not.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 960, 7700, TW20, 1720; IHC H, 300; Ollie S77

Default Re: Inline Text Ads

Whew - I noticed one a few hours ago here, thought perhaps I got something on my computer, but if others saw it too.... Whew.

--->Paul

Elite Member
    Tractor

Unfortunately, it looks like TBN has started using inline text ads. I just saw another one embedded in the first post of the following thread.

Box Blade won't hold position... - TractorByNet.com

One can only hope that it's only on an experimental basis, or that enough users complain and/or the ads don't prove themselves to be viable. I have nothing against TBN making money with ads, it's just that certain kinds of ads really get my blood boiling, with inline text ads being at the top of the list. I'm a "scroller" when I read, and those things make me insane with anger.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

I agree, they are annoying and make it hard to see if someone posted a link, or if it is an ad link.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

I just ignore them.
    They help pay the bills, and help keep the site of TBN free to use for all of us.

Administrator
    Tractor
    None currently

If you would like this disabled, please PM me. We can disable it on an account-by-account basis.
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I just ignore them.
    They help pay the bills, and help keep the site of TBN free to use for all of us.
    I don't ignore ads, I block them. Many people don't realize it, but the tracking methods used by many ad servers can present a huge privacy risk, not to mention other problems they often cause, so I take no chances.

Perhaps I haven't noticed it until now, but this has suddenly started appearing in the page source:

"http://cdn.viglink.com/api/vglnk.js"

Administrator
    Tractor
    None currently

Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    I don't ignore ads, I block them. Many people don't realize it, but the tracking methods used by many ad servers can present a huge privacy risk, not to mention other problems they often cause, so I take no chances.

Perhaps I haven't noticed it until now, but this has suddenly started appearing in the page source:

"http://cdn.viglink.com/api/vglnk.js"
    Yes, that's suppose to be there. That's an affiliate linking script.
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator

Tractor
    1981 Yanmar 336D

Them being ads is a little disappointing, though if this forum automatically created links to further info or specs/classified ad listings that may be helpful to some.

So, if someone said "my ym336d is smoking", YM336d would get linked to the specs of that tractor with a photo so people would know what that person was referring to. I can see that as extremely helpful, especially to those who are new to a particular tractor.

Seeing as they are ads right now, and you can have them disabled.. why not just make it easier on yourselves and add a setting in vbulletin to disable them instead? People who don't want ads won't click them anyhow, so you aren't losing money, just making people happier.

Don't want to tell you how to do your job, simply sharing some ideas with you. Novel site improvements happens to be my forte (and profession).
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ― Aristotle

Yanmar 1981 YM336D

From this . . . . To this

Check out the full restoration project: Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 . . . . Adding gauges? How-to

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Domush View Post
    So, if someone said "my ym336d is smoking", YM336d would get linked to the specs of that tractor with a photo so people would know what that person was referring to. I can see that as extremely helpful, especially to those who are new to a particular tractor.
    Having a generated link to specifications would be very helpful. In addition, I also like the ldea of generating tool tips for abbreviations, which they seemed to be experimenting with earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Domush View Post
    Seeing as they are ads right now, and you can have them disabled.. why not just make it easier on yourselves and add a setting in vbulletin to disable them instead? People who don't want ads won't click them anyhow, so you aren't losing money, just making people happier.
    Giving members the ability to disable ads is a great idea. Perhaps there could even be some sort of incentive put into place to encourage people to join/post more. Something like... become a member and create X number of posts before having the ability to disable ads. It's better than a popup. IMO

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast