Forum Upgrade - Any Issues?

/ Forum Upgrade - Any Issues?
I use the Quick Navigation button a lot. It seems now that the drop down list is too 'gappy' and is a bit of a pain to scroll through. There's lots of white space, and grey lines, between each forum title. I'd like to see it all tightened up, and make the drop down box taller if possible so more forum names are visible at once.

Cheers

Added to to-do list.

/ Forum Upgrade - Any Issues? #32  
Update on the whitespace issue. It appears that if a user has their signature enabled, there is a whitespace that may be caused by the blank cell/div under the username that is created to match the one for the signature block. If I am correct, there will be almost no whitespace after this post as I am disabling my sig for this post.

Taking up space to be larger than the userbox

Aaron Z

/ Forum Upgrade - Any Issues? #33  
Update on the whitespace issue. It appears that if a user has their signature enabled, there is a whitespace that may be caused by the blank cell/div under the username that is created to match the one for the signature block. If I am correct, there will be whitespace after this post as I am using my sig for this post.

Taking up space to be larger than the userbox (no lines put there by me after my name)

Aaron Z

/ Forum Upgrade - Any Issues? #34  
Looks like (based on my last two posts) that the whitespace under the post only shows up when a signature is used.

Aaron Z

1) 'Reply to thread' button at the bottom of the page is dead. I had to 'reply' within msg #1 to post this.

2) As Aczlan pointed out, there is an awful lot of wasted whitespace, dead white lines, as viewed on the 800x600 laptop I use out here at the ranch. Looking at msg #1 the thread title has a huge blank white area above it - and the top of that thread title text is 40% of the way down the screen. The name of the poster for msg #1 and the post title are well below the midpoint of the screen and 'Hi Everybody', the first line of the message, is nearly 2/3 of the way down the screen. Any way to tighten this up? I suggest the thread title doesn't need such a large font, since the reader already saw the thread title before opening the thread. And the blank line above the thread title is apparently blanks of that same large font.

Overall the site looks good. Different but not worse, maybe better, and hopefully the recent unevenness is now all gone. :thumbsup:

Added: Wow more whitespace. I went to the Forum where I hang out (Yanmar). There is so much unnecessary stuff on the screen that the only purpose of that screen, the listing of recent threads, begins in the bottom inch of this 800x600 laptop screen.

We will work on reducing white space and tightening things up, but an 800x600 screen resolution is not large enough to view the forum. The forum is only compatible with 1024x768 or larger resolutions.

On the thread listing pages (forums), the thread content starts 55 pixels lowers on the screen than the old forum. 55 pixels is about 3/4". We can work to make it the same as the old forum, but it's really not that far off of what it was.

Looks like (based on my last two posts) that the whitespace under the post only shows up when a signature is used.

Aaron Z

Yeah, we will get rid of it. Too much space. It's on the to-do list now. :thumbsup:

/ Forum Upgrade - Any Issues? #37  
1. I also dont like the default to quick-reply.
2. Harder on they eyes IMO
3. Dont like the default to post 1 everytime. I dont like having to click "view first unread post"
4. What are the red and blue envelopes?
5. When viewing a list of posts, where it says "last post @ TI:ME", the time gets cut off
6. I like the different colors that separated posts I have viewed and ones I havent. I'm not digging this Bold and non-bold thing
7. What is the "like" feature that was referred to earlier??? I am not seeing it.
8. I just plain dont like it. I liked it the way it was.

I guess thats enough for now

/ Forum Upgrade - Any Issues? #38  
For some reason, it just switched me from the "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" to the WSYSIG editor and I dont see any way to switch back

Also, it appears that you now have to click on the icon (
firstnew.png
) next to an unread post to go to the first unread post vs just clicking on the thread title like in the old forum.

Aaron Z

1 - I HATE the default to "quick reply"
2 - S L O W... Good grief it is slow...'
3 - Where is "My Home"?
4 - Did I mention it is SLOW?
5 - My subscribed threads pop-up in the 1st post, not the 1st unread.

But I DO love that you wisely chose R4 tires for the tread pattern! (BUT I REALLY HATE Quick Reply!)

David

1. Not much we can do about that since it's a function of the software. I think once you get used to it, it's superior than the old method. Saves the loading of two pages on every reply. So it's more efficient.
2/4. Will look into this.
3. Click "settings" (we'll probably change this name)
5. Click the small blue arrow to the left of the thread title. That jumps you to the first unread post.

/ Forum Upgrade - Any Issues? #40  
Don't hate it at all, but contrast is too low and the :rolleyes: smiley needs to come back. People need to be informed that the 'settings' button is like the old 'my home' button as well. I found it by accident.:)