Upcoming Downtime - 6/10/2003

/ Upcoming Downtime - 6/10/2003 #1  

Ibrahim

Administrator
Tractor
My CPU is a neural net processor.
Hello All,

At approximately 2am Eastern Time tomorrow morning, the site will be down for an upgrade.

This is the beginning of some upgrades this summer that will hopefully increase speed of the site.

Strangely enough, this first upgrade may decrease performance slightly, but this is a security upgrade, and the next upgrade (I will announce the date after tonight's upgrade) will increase speed, I hope, dramatically.

So tonight you guys should relax a bit, maybe get some sleep. The server should be down for no more than 15 minutes.

Just keeping you all up to date,
-Ibrahim

/ Upcoming Downtime - 6/10/2003 #2  
Will this site then work on a MAC with Internet Explorer? I hope so, Its been way too long using Netscape, which does not work all the time as well! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I still wish it never changed last time.

/ Upcoming Downtime - 6/10/2003
Von,

Hate to say it, but we're not making any changes to the display side of things. So it's unlikely anything will change.

Couple of ideas: 1) have you kept an eye out on Microsoft? Maybe they have updates? 2) Update to Apple's latest OS X? Glennmac seems to have success with it.

Unfortunately, changing the site to work with MacOS (especially when we've got success with OS X) is nearly impossible for us. We don't own any Macs, and so it's very hard to diagnose exactly what's wrong. Plus any changes we do might break it for the majority of our users. Currently MacOS + OSX combine for 1.4% of total traffic to the site.

But give those suggestions a try. Maybe you'll get lucky.

-Ibrahim

/ Upcoming Downtime - 6/10/2003 #4  
Ibrahim,
Rest assured at 2AM Eastern, I'll be getting some rest/sleep

Jerry

/ Upcoming Downtime - 6/10/2003 #5  
I have dabbled with the site from my sisters Mac running OS 9, OS 10.1xx and now finally with the real OS X 10.2x or Jaguar. No problems with any of them. Site runs fine, I think Von may have an issue with his Mac computer, its ROM or perhaps the various interaction of the software and hardware. My guess is its and older Mac. My sisters is a G4 dual 800 Mhz Mac 1G byte of ram.

/ Upcoming Downtime - 6/10/2003 #6  
Hey, Von!

Can't remember what configuration you've got, but I've been using Netscape 7 with my ol' PowerMacs for a few months now, and TBN/CBN have been rock solid.

/ Upcoming Downtime - 6/10/2003
We are back up and running.

I'm going to sleep.

-Ibrahim

/ Upcoming Downtime - 6/10/2003 #8  
Sweet dreams........ /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
As of 7am, all seems ok....
Mark