The front porch

/ The front porch #1  

jefwyn

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3616 hst cab
Look, I understand keeping politics and religion in a different area, but what is with having to have fifty post to get in? How about you say the front porch is for politics and religion or what ever you want and go there if you so desire. Instead you act like big brother and set up these silly rules for getting there. We are all capable of deciding what content we want to look at.

/ The front porch #2  
Well, you seem to have gotten in with 32 post. :laughing:

The purpose is to limit trolls.

Another reason was to have a person contribute to TBN for some period of time before allowing participation in conversations that can be controversial. When TBN was small there was more open topics but as the site grew those conversations became problematic. All political and religion discussions were banned for a while but eventually the Front Porch was opened to allow a bit more free expression. I think even the Front Porch got a bit rowdy so the other forum was opened and topics were a bit tightened down here. When the Front Porch opened the number of posts to enter was 500. But I think that number of posts is for another hidden forum.

Good policy as far as I am concerned.

Later,
Dan

/ The front porch

Another reason was to have a person contribute to TBN for some period of time before allowing participation in conversations that can be controversial. When TBN was small there was more open topics but as the site grew those conversations became problematic. All political and religion discussions were banned for a while but eventually the Front Porch was opened to allow a bit more free expression. I think even the Front Porch got a bit rowdy so the other forum was opened and topics were a bit tightened down here. When the Front Porch opened the number of posts to enter was 500. But I think that number of posts is for another hidden forum.

Later,
Dan

If you don't like the content of any post, no one is forcing you to look at. If it gets to heated or to rowdy for someone all they have to do his push a button to get off. We, in this country, don't like to be censored in any other way, why would we put up with it on here?

Last edited:
   / The front porch #4  
I don't see it as censorship, but rather people who run a free forum to run it as they see fit, no one has a "right" to be on here.

/ The front porch
I don't see it as censorship, but rather people who run a free forum to run it as they see fit, no one has a "right" to be on here.

I see a lot of adds on here and I'm sure they are not free. In what way does it effect the people who run it to say, off topic stuff is over here, you decide if it is something you want to read or not?

/ The front porch #6  
That is of course correct, but being correct is not a prerequisite to obtaining your goal...ask me how I know...I've fought that battle on another forum; as it turns out, the man with the fuzzy kahunies...the stud duck...the man who owns and operates the website has the last say, and since it's his ball game, he calls it as he sees it. If he takes a vote or askes for input, I'll be glad to contribute...but in the meantime, as the old saying goes, we're screwed, blued and tattooed. I decided on the other site, that I had to acknowledge his omnipotence or bow out. I did the latter for awhile, and then returned, hat in hand, tail between my legs, and dripping with contrition, accepted my place in the pecking order.

/ The front porch

I would like to add I find it strange that I have zero views of this post and the only responses are from super members. Could be just a fluke, but does seem strange.

/ The front porch #8  

Later,
Dan

What's the thing on 500 posts? What is this forum? Is this like the Petroleum club on the 89th floor that takes a special card to get into? I got an inkling of something like that a while back, but assumed it was an error and they were referring to "The Front Porch", which I believe requires 50.

/ The front porch #9  
Think of it this way.
1. You have a neighbor that has a different opinion but expresses his ideas in a halfway intelligent way that gets you to thinking.
2. A stranger at the street corner is yelling at you, calling you names because he assumes you don't agree with his point of view on a topic.

Which one would you avoid.

After one post for a while and adds to the general knowledge base of the tractor community one might act more like a neighbor and be accepted more like a neighbor than a paid troll from a political organization. I think that's the plan anyway..

TBN is all about useful information exchanged in a friendly manner.

/ The front porch #10  
I see a lot of adds on here and I'm sure they are not free. In what way does it effect the people who run it to say, off topic stuff is over here, you decide if it is something you want to read or not?

Membership is free. As to your other question, no one can answer that other than the owners or moderators.

I have belonged to some forums in the past where content and/or access was different to those who were not paid subscribers.