Online timeout

/ Online timeout #1  

The kid

Elite Member
Tractor
1965 135 gasser, 1967 135 diesel
Is there a setting to extend the loggin time. I can be entering a rather lengthy response and have to log back in. Is this a forum problem or IE9 problem? I usually have to copy everything I've entered, loggin and repost. It's not always been that way. Anyone?

/ Online timeout #2  
I'm thinkin it's IE9.
I've never had that problem. How about you try it with firefox and see if it changes?
Muhammad will know.

/ Online timeout
I'm thinkin it's IE9.
I've never had that problem. How about you try it with firefox and see if it changes?
Muhammad will know.
I've combed all thoughout settings in IE9 and for the life of me I can't find any references to timeout disconnect. Something is deleting the cookie which makes one appear to be logged out. If only happened when I reply and have the editor open. For example if I'm doing a writeup and adding pictures I may have the editor open for over 30 to 45 minutes. After massaging the text to my satisfaction and press post it says I must refresh that I don't have permission. If I refresh I lose everything unless I copy it first, log in, re-reply and paste it in.

I have also replied to a post when it showed my profile picture at the top of the page and it forced me to login before it posted the reply.

I haven't used Firefox in quite some time. The industry standard in IE. All else follow thier lead with thier own advantages and disadvantages. It get's really frustating at times when I forget to copy before refreshing. Maybe it's been reported to Muhammad and on thier to-do list. You should be able to stay logged in all day if you wish. IE9 saves my password but something is deleting my loggin cookies. I hate it when someone steals my cookies.:smiley_aafz:

The annoying pop-up. I've found you can type right thru it logging in. :thumbsup:

/ Online timeout #5  
The industry standard in IE.
That's what I thought when I upgraded to IE8. Then I got frustrated with it and started using Firefox.
I think firefox is the superior product, but I haven't used IE9. I've seen it and it looks to me they tried to make it like firefox.
It's free so why not try it?

/ Online timeout #6  
IE irritates me to no end. Been using Firefox for more than a few years with no issues. I can stay logged in for as long as I choose on as many sites as I choose. When posting here, a little "Auto-saved" deal pops up in the right lower corner of the screen from time to time. I've actually started a post in the evening and finished it the next morning. Give it a try!

/ Online timeout #7  
I always use Firefox and have experienced the timeout also. My experience has been not when posting, but when just logged on and reading forums. If I'm away for a length of time and come back later to start reading the forums again I find I am logged out. I have no idea what is the shortest time I actually have to be sitting idle on the site, but I know that if I'm away a few hours with the site up and just sitting there, I'll have to re-log in.

/ Online timeout #8  
I wish we could just stay logged in. I do not like coming back to the computer to find I am signed out.

/ Online timeout #9  
I use IE8 with no problem of time out and get the yellow "Auto-Saved" buttom popping up after ? number fo keystrokes or after about 20 seconds idle.
Just wondering for those that get the time out, Do you sign in each time you come to the site or do you use the "Remember Me" box hust below the sign on. I checked that box so anytime I select this site from my bookmarks it opens the site and I'm automatically signed in. Might be worth a try if not using it.

/ Online timeout
IE irritates me to no end. Been using Firefox for more than a few years with no issues. I can stay logged in for as long as I choose on as many sites as I choose. When posting here, a little "Auto-saved" deal pops up in the right lower corner of the screen from time to time. I've actually started a post in the evening and finished it the next morning. Give it a try!
John, I'm going to try the "Remember Me" option to see if it makes a difference. One more item to note. I've lost my cursor when using this editor. It's ike the keystroke is buffered. I can place my cursor on the page with the mouse and click to drop the cursor and no flashing cursor. OK.. "auto saved" just flashed. We shouldn't have to change browsers to be compatiable with a message editor. Firefox is probably a stripped down version of IE is probably why it works. Sometimes simpler works better.

The mysterious log off and invisible cursor is more of an annoyance than a show stopping problem. Maybe they can figure it out. They fixed the mallware popup bug using a search engine..:cool2: