Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Default Re: Rise in SPAM posts

Noticed on the sign-up popup now it's necessary to type two random words so that should slow down the automated computer spammers.
    Last edited by rekees4300; 11-14-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L5030HSTC

Just went to new posts....first one was spam...everything was intelligible, content, title, subject, all in well spelled English. Location was even a legit word, dunno if it was correct. I reported it. Anyway, stuff is still getting past the filters, but let's hope it is reduced.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

I try to help the forum by reporting spam, the reporting process sure is slow though. I wish there were a way to streamline that.

MarkV

Banned
    Tractor
    deere,kubota,case,sears,new holland, Mf

IM NEW HERE BUT I THINK YOU GUYS ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE SPAM BY KEEP MAKING THREADS ABOUT SPAM IN THIS FEEDBACK SECTION. i JUST LOOKED AND IT IS ONE SPAM AFTER ANOTHER IN THE THREAD TITLE. MAYBE JUST IGNORE THE THREAD OR REPORT IT. END OF STORY. I MAY BE A LITTLE OLDER THAN YOU FOLKS (73) BUT IM STILL WITH IT. CARRYING ON IS JUST MORE POWDER TO THE KEG. iM SURE THE OWNER OF THE SITE IS OPERATING WELL WITHIN HIS POWERS. nO MORE JIBBERISH ABOUT SPAM. MOVE ON

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Face View Post
    IM NEW HERE BUT I THINK YOU GUYS ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE SPAM BY KEEP MAKING THREADS ABOUT SPAM IN THIS FEEDBACK SECTION. i JUST LOOKED AND IT IS ONE SPAM AFTER ANOTHER IN THE THREAD TITLE. MAYBE JUST IGNORE THE THREAD OR REPORT IT. END OF STORY. I MAY BE A LITTLE OLDER THAN YOU FOLKS (73) BUT IM STILL WITH IT. CARRYING ON IS JUST MORE POWDER TO THE KEG. iM SURE THE OWNER OF THE SITE IS OPERATING WELL WITHIN HIS POWERS. nO MORE JIBBERISH ABOUT SPAM. MOVE ON
    No, we're not contrbuting to spam...just reporting it and bringing a problem up to TBN management.
    Spam hits every online forum...not just TBN. It wastes bandwidth (bandwidth costs money) and irritates the members (me, for example).
    One cannot expect the management or mods to see it all...unless we report it.
    There have some good ideas on these anti-spam threads to reduce spam. One was the report button changing color after being reported (so the mods don't get multiple reports for the same thread). Another is the use of random characters to prevent the automated spambots from creating "memberships").
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Quote Originally Posted by ljohnson778 View Post
    Right... Let the lynch mobs begin. Spam is OBVIOUS... Let the mods(let's face it, this site makes money off of us) figure out how to deal with it.
    Sounds to me like you resent the fact that TBN might be profitable. It costs us nothing to join or post for that matter so why should it even matter that the site makes money. If it didn't make money you would be asked to dip into your pocket to support it. Make sense?

BTW: I hate spam

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by PineRidge View Post

Can you really say that?

-172-jpg
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    Can you really say that?

-172-jpg
    Daughter used to work for Hormel, yes I do dislike that type too.

Tractor
    New Holland T5070

Quote Originally Posted by texasjohn
    This idea has merit....the foundation would be that if several members who had achieved a certain level of veracity reported a new member post, then it would be removed for review by a moderator....
    Quote Originally Posted by PineRidge

Sounds to me like you resent the fact that TBN might be profitable. It costs us nothing to join or post for that matter so why should it even matter that the site makes money. If it didn't make money you would be asked to dip into your pocket to support it. Make sense?

No sir, quite the opposite. I was simply pointing out that "senior" members didn't earn the right to judge junior posters... Hence the lynch mob comment. That is a function of the owner or mods. If spam is a problem, they should deal with it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -
    Benjamin Franklin

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
    -Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234