Rise in SPAM posts

/ Rise in SPAM posts #31  
Noticed on the sign-up popup now it's necessary to type two random words so that should slow down the automated computer spammers.

Last edited:
   / Rise in SPAM posts #32  
Just went to new posts....first one was spam...everything was intelligible, content, title, subject, all in well spelled English. Location was even a legit word, dunno if it was correct. I reported it. Anyway, stuff is still getting past the filters, but let's hope it is reduced.

/ Rise in SPAM posts #33  
I try to help the forum by reporting spam, the reporting process sure is slow though. I wish there were a way to streamline that.

MarkV

/ Rise in SPAM posts #34  
IM NEW HERE BUT I THINK YOU GUYS ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE SPAM BY KEEP MAKING THREADS ABOUT SPAM IN THIS FEEDBACK SECTION. i JUST LOOKED AND IT IS ONE SPAM AFTER ANOTHER IN THE THREAD TITLE. MAYBE JUST IGNORE THE THREAD OR REPORT IT. END OF STORY. I MAY BE A LITTLE OLDER THAN YOU FOLKS (73) BUT IM STILL WITH IT. CARRYING ON IS JUST MORE POWDER TO THE KEG. iM SURE THE OWNER OF THE SITE IS OPERATING WELL WITHIN HIS POWERS. nO MORE JIBBERISH ABOUT SPAM. MOVE ON

/ Rise in SPAM posts #35  
IM NEW HERE BUT I THINK YOU GUYS ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE SPAM BY KEEP MAKING THREADS ABOUT SPAM IN THIS FEEDBACK SECTION. i JUST LOOKED AND IT IS ONE SPAM AFTER ANOTHER IN THE THREAD TITLE. MAYBE JUST IGNORE THE THREAD OR REPORT IT. END OF STORY. I MAY BE A LITTLE OLDER THAN YOU FOLKS (73) BUT IM STILL WITH IT. CARRYING ON IS JUST MORE POWDER TO THE KEG. iM SURE THE OWNER OF THE SITE IS OPERATING WELL WITHIN HIS POWERS. nO MORE JIBBERISH ABOUT SPAM. MOVE ON

No, we're not contrbuting to spam...just reporting it and bringing a problem up to TBN management.
Spam hits every online forum...not just TBN. It wastes bandwidth (bandwidth costs money) and irritates the members (me, for example).
One cannot expect the management or mods to see it all...unless we report it.
There have some good ideas on these anti-spam threads to reduce spam. One was the report button changing color after being reported (so the mods don't get multiple reports for the same thread). Another is the use of random characters to prevent the automated spambots from creating "memberships").

/ Rise in SPAM posts #36  
Right... Let the lynch mobs begin. Spam is OBVIOUS... Let the mods(let's face it, this site makes money off of us) figure out how to deal with it.

Sounds to me like you resent the fact that TBN might be profitable. It costs us nothing to join or post for that matter so why should it even matter that the site makes money. If it didn't make money you would be asked to dip into your pocket to support it. Make sense?

BTW: I hate spam

/ Rise in SPAM posts #37  

Can you really say that?

172.jpg

/ Rise in SPAM posts #39  
texasjohn said:
This idea has merit....the foundation would be that if several members who had achieved a certain level of veracity reported a new member post, then it would be removed for review by a moderator....

PineRidge said:
Sounds to me like you resent the fact that TBN might be profitable. It costs us nothing to join or post for that matter so why should it even matter that the site makes money. If it didn't make money you would be asked to dip into your pocket to support it. Make sense?

No sir, quite the opposite. I was simply pointing out that "senior" members didn't earn the right to judge junior posters... Hence the lynch mob comment. That is a function of the owner or mods. If spam is a problem, they should deal with it.