SPAM and registration

/ SPAM and registration #1  

RoyJackson

Rest in Peace
Tractor
John Deere 4052R Cab,, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements
I reckon most of you know we're getting a lot more SPAM on TBN since the new forum format. I've been reporting quite a few and I know others are as well.
Perhaps it's time the TBN registration for new members gets a bit tough...using one of those random codes (in differing fonts and cases) used to defeat robo-registrations for example.
I know some forums require a 24 hour hold time so they can be reviewed. Due to the numbers of new member and the limited numbers of moderators, I doubt that would be feasible though.

/ SPAM and registration #2  
I am not a Computer expert and don't have any idea what would be the most feasible way to handle the increase in SPAM, but it seems apparent that there is a definite need for some type of prevention. I, like yourself, average reporting SPAM around 2-three times daily. Sometimes, more.

/ SPAM and registration #3  
Most sites do have the random codes with the differing font. The spam always seems to show up at the same time. There was 4 post on the same thing the other day from different users all with the same tractor model and location.

/ SPAM and registration #4  
Those random characters that you have to enter are called CAPTCHA.

/ SPAM and registration #5  
There is a awfull lot of spam post this morning. I count at least 6. Lots to repport.

/ SPAM and registration
There is a awfull lot of spam post this morning. I count at least 6. Lots to repport.

I reported at least 6 and probably more.

/ SPAM and registration #7  
RoyJackson said:
I reported at least 6 and probably more.

Ya. They seem to show up all at the same time too.

/ SPAM and registration #8  
Does it take forever for you guys to report a post? When I click submit it just hangs for 30 seconds or so before it goes through. I reported a few this morning as well.

/ SPAM and registration #9  
Does it take forever for you guys to report a post? When I click submit it just hangs for 30 seconds or so before it goes through. I reported a few this morning as well.

Yeah...I think its a built in fail safe. Takes 30-60 seconds to upload and at least 60 seconds in between submitting another one. I would think it is a fail safe so a person or "robot" cannot repetitively. flag posts.

I had asked Mohammad a while back about the increase in spammers registering. There is an effort to id them but they only catch a low percentage.

I think that our "policing" and reporting these spammers is somewhat effective. We "catch" a lot of them quickly and, I think that once flagged- it gets looked at fairly quickly.

Moderators input on this?

/ SPAM and registration

Yep, same here...