Parts cross refrence wiki/database

/ Parts cross refrence wiki/database #1  

Texan4Life

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2810, IH Hydro 70, 706
I have been working on getting our 706 back in running order and have been saving a lot of money finding aftermarket parts and even parts the dealer said they could no longer get. I have put a lot of time and effort into it and was thinking too bad there isn't a central place to add this info for other who might need it.

So I thought this would be something TBN should consider. Nothing fancy, maybe just a wiki and if someone finds an aftermarket part they can list the part # and which oem # it replaces.

Just a thought.

/ Parts cross refrence wiki/database #2  
We have considered this in the past and have done some development to add a feature like this to our tractor guide (Tractor Guide - TractorByNet.com)... Which data points would be necessary? OEM part number, replacement part number, source?

/ Parts cross refrence wiki/database
Good question.

Adding something to the tractor guide looks good, since it already has a make and model breakdown. Maybe once you get to the model, have a "parts" tab. And then a category listing of different areas. Such as engine, cooling system, transmission, electrical, ect.

From there maybe it could be user generated and have a form field to fill out. Perhaps, part name, oem part #, replacement brand and part #, and a notes or comments box to add any other relevant information. Maybe even be able to upload a picture of the replacement part.

Or something as simple as a search box where you slelect the MFG and put in a part number and search for any matches. and then have a form for user to add info to the database.

Just crossed some Mahindra front axle bearings to Timken and remembered about this thread.

guess I'm the only one interested? If other members are interested please speak up!

Another idea would be to setup a separate wiki (maybe called TBN parts cross reference) and let it be 100% user generated. Also have a parts search where you can search OEM # for parts that fit multiple models. That way even if someone with a different model tractor could potentially find a cross reference even though their specific model isn't listed.

Or (yeah I know I'm full of ideas tonight, lol) Dont worry about make/model/ ect, break it down even simpler by just OEM and then search that category and just have a big searchable part number dump. Thats a winner i think. nice and simple.