Should a thread have an expiration date?

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
Many times we mistakenly open an old thread someone has revived, I'll then read several replies before realizing I've read it before and find the thread is 3,4,5,+ years old, Though the information in these thread are good reading and very valued, should we have the ability to revise them some years later possibly causing confusion to that thread,

(example only): a topic about safety, Things that may have been permitted 5 years ago have changed due to regulations and are no longer currently permitted,etc,etc, Or... a 4 page thread where someone has post about having starting trouble with their tractor, on the 4th page he replies problem has been solved and gives thanks to everyone who has helped..... now 3 years later someone mistakenly revives the thread giving advice on a 3 year old issue, etc,etc, ...... before we know it another 6-7 more reply taking this thread into another 2 pages on a 3 year old issue,
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I've mistakenly participated in this same kind of scenario, and it's a little embarrassing after the fact, :eek:
What are others thoughts?
Should a old thread have an expiration date? and be removed? ( annually ) or perhaps put into a category of old topics only to be viewed for future reference, not having the ability to be revived? or IS (Topics and Thread Counts) an essential part of TBN's website establishment?

Last edited:
   / Should a thread have an expiration date? #2  
deepNdirt
Ever watch a t.v. rerun and see things never seen the first time. ?
ken

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #4  
I just make it a habit of looking to see the dates, I have actually saved some old ones to which I refer occasionally as the contain good information. I understand some things may be outdated, but a LOT of what was true years ago remains true today.

/ Should a thread have an expiration date?
deepNdirt
Ever watch a t.v. rerun and see things never seen the first time. ?
ken

Yeah;) I know what your saying, I agree! seems always something got missed first time around, but what I'm suggesting is having replied to a old thread starting it up again, when usually 90% of the time a newer topic or similar threads are currently being discussed over,
I enjoy reading the old topics/threads and certainly find them helpful and informative, I guess i shouldn't have mentioned removing them or imply to kill the thread, But maybe put them in a place that cannot reply to them, Perhaps? .....( Previous years On TBN forum).........
I mean I do still post links to old topics to those who might need incite on a subject, I really wouldn't want to have them taken away:cool:

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #6  
Well it is a little embarrassing when you reply to a 10 year old thread, with "hey buddy why don't you try this?" and then you realize the guy probably doesn't even have the tractor any more, and his problem is long ago solved or he is long gone.. BUT. after you do that a couple of times and suffer slings and arrows of your fellow tractor enthusiasts, you get in the habit of looking over at the date.. Good habit to get in to. Like others have said, just because some of the threads have whiskers, doesn't mean they don't have value. Some are extremely valuable and may be the only discussion of a build or technique on the whole forum.. I would be in favor of just leaving it the way it is. My 2 coppers...er.. zinc or what ever they are made out of now:)

James K0UA

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #7  
Been in this situation.......... or "guilty" depending on your view (LOL)

maybe instead of an expiration, the original post date could be changed to a different color and/or if you are trying to post to it- then an "advisory" pops up that this thread has been "inactive" for..... example....6 months. That way, whoever is posting knows it is an old thread in case they overlook it to begin with.

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #8  
An expiration date? No. There's to much old gold on here.
Maybe a post-it with "Check Date" slapped on the monitor ...

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #9  
Yeah;) I know what your saying, I agree! seems always something got missed first time around, but what I'm suggesting is having replied to a old thread starting it up again, when usually 90% of the time a newer topic or similar threads are currently being discussed over,
I enjoy reading the old topics/threads and certainly find them helpful and informative, I guess i shouldn't have mentioned removing them or imply to kill the thread, But maybe put them in a place that cannot reply to them, Perhaps? .....( Previous years On TBN forum).........
I mean I do still post links to old topics to those who might need incite on a subject, I really wouldn't want to have them taken away:cool:

deepNdirt
maybe to quick on the answer. There are sites where when you click to reply it flags that no responce in the past # of months and do you want to continue to post on the thread.
This would lower the number that do so.
A few months ago a reply on thread that had been dead couple of years and it took off as if there had been no delay.
ken

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #10  
An expiration date? No. There's to much old gold on here.
Maybe a post-it with "Check Date" slapped on the monitor ...

Frozen but available for viewing or searching after X months of inactivity?? Maybe 6 months for arguement's sake.