Should a thread have an expiration date?

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #11  
No.

Some forums allow the thread starter to close the thread if they find it gets off topic. I think the forum works perfectly the way it is. No more changes.

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #12  
Timely question...just read thru a thread pulled back up from 2009

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #14  
I was just today digging up threads about Kubota M4700, some dated back to 2003.

It seems mostly newbies reply to ancient threads without realizing it. I think they come on, search for something and reply.

I often revive ancient threads because sometimes the older ones are more pertinent.

For instance I was trying to find out about a generator, so I posted in an old thread on the exact model:
I REALIZE THIS THREAD IS GOING ON 7 YEARS OLD!!!

Has anyone ever heard of one of these? My neighbor has one in pretty good shape, and I tried to call the number on the decal affixed to it, no luck. Just rang and rang. Did a google search for Olathe Chipper, also no luck.

It is a beast and I want to buy it, but I am worried that I will never get parts or service.

Rick

But this is also my situation.

Does anyone run one?

Have you repaired it?

How easy is it to work on?

Do you have pics?

The CL ad I'm working with doesn't even have pics.

That thread had some good links in it.

A pop up to say this thread is old enough to vote might be good.

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #15  
OK it's timely. How about some input on the question?

Ok since you asked

Well to tell the truth I had thought about adding a response to the thread I was reading before I realized it was an old discussion. After all the dates are there on the posts. So after reading thru it I felt that I kind of just wasted my time, not because it was a bad thread but that it was for the most part too old to add something that probably wouldn't be of any use to the original poster. So yea I would be of the opinion that after a major period of inactivity or an annual date mark has passed threads could be more clearly marked somehow. Different color bar or something. But if someone wants to reopen for whatever their reason thats ok with me too. I usually always view under today's posts/last 24hours mode so it just caught me off guard with the majority of the thread not being current.

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #16  
I like the simple "warning you are about to post to a thread that is over 6 months old, are you sure?" idea. Maybe that feature could be added.

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #17  
I've never understood the criticism nubes get by responding to an old thread...I realize many do not bother looking at a date when searching for useful information...believe it or not there are a lot of folks that are not familiar with message boards etc...

FWIW... Google and other global search engines are a much better tool than the "search" feature of most "message board" software... mostly because of security reasons M.B. search apps are very poor and often a Google etc. search will provide links back to useful material even if it is not a current subject on the referred site/message board...

VB and other message board software should offer a separate search tools IMO...

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #18  
Did anyone see that this thread started in 2002? :laughing:

...Just couldn't resist.

Some good ideas here- I've seen some resurrections based on a simple "hey, did you make any more progress on that project/build?". Perhaps a PM to the OP would be more helpful in those cases. Hard however, to figure out what would be a good generic time frame to even have the "pop up" of "it's been 6 months...do you want to continue with post".

Of course, it's always fun to watch reruns years after the initial broadcast....

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #19  
Did anyone see that this thread started in 2002? :laughing:

...Just couldn't resist.

Some good ideas here- I've seen some resurrections based on a simple "hey, did you make any more progress on that project/build?". Perhaps a PM to the OP would be more helpful in those cases. Hard however, to figure out what would be a good generic time frame to even have the "pop up" of "it's been 6 months...do you want to continue with post".

Of course, it's always fun to watch reruns years after the initial broadcast....

I frequently use JJ's posts on Hydraulic problems and some times go back couple years remembering he had covered it then. no need to rehash the same questions.

Now the posts of (pulling the trigger on a new tractor) Never found a trigger on mine anywhere I've looked.
ken

/ Should a thread have an expiration date? #20  
I like the simple "warning you are about to post to a thread that is over 6 months old, are you sure?" idea. Maybe that feature could be added.
That is exactly what we did on another forum I frequent. Works well. About the only abusers we get are people who have not figured out how to start a new thread.