New Users

/ New Users #1  

megaboz

Platinum Member
Tractor
'17 2032r (soon)
Why is that there are so many "NEW" users posting what seems to be obvious posts that have no validity. For those "NEW USERS" that are actually real people and soliciting or contributing valid help or questions, I in no way mean this for you guys and look forward to proving any help I can. I am sure others feel that way too.

I see so many posts that start by these "NEW" people that are just plain gibberish. One lately was "my blade won't lift". Seriously? The sad part was that there was about 5 responses from other users and none clarifying from the OP.

I'm wondering if there shouldn't be some sort of Capture required for these people to post or some other validation before just allowing these users to post.

/ New Users #2  
Why is that there are so many "NEW" users posting what seems to be obvious posts that have no validity. For those "NEW USERS" that are actually real people and soliciting or contributing valid help or questions, I in no way mean this for you guys and look forward to proving any help I can. I am sure others feel that way too.

I see so many posts that start by these "NEW" people that are just plain gibberish. One lately was "my blade won't lift". Seriously? The sad part was that there was about 5 responses from other users and none clarifying from the OP.

I'm wondering if there shouldn't be some sort of Capture required for these people to post or some other validation before just allowing these users to post.
Just making an observation here. I'd say less than a third have a reason to post due to personal equipment problems. They see the New Member area and post a question. Kind of like walking up to the parts counter. You don't introduce yourself, you just ask. They are unaware the New Member area is kind of like a welcome wagon to say hello first. Brianna does a good job catching those type post and move them to the appropriate area. Most of the time someone will suggest to that member that they will probably get a better response to thier question by going to a specific forum. There is usually a set of forum rules above each topic. To validate a new member, so they must pass thru some kind of test IMHO would be rude. You get your occassional spammer, but we report them and they are sliftly removed. If we start removing friendly post or screening them would drive them away. I think what is in place is working nicely.

/ New Users
I don't want anyone to shy away from asking a question, but some of the questions are about as coherent as my 2 year old. There are a lot of them lately where there issue is only a couple of words and in most cases not even complete sentences.

As for passing test, a lot of forums make you follow some rules before you can even post, so to keep the lazy people out that just want to spam, I don't think it would be rude until a person has posted at least a few times.

This site is very helpful and most of the members here I have appreciated reading their suggestions, their problems and the solutions. It is just sad to see such a good site be abused.

/ New Users #4  
After 15 years, I think it's time for a newbie's guide. :laughing:

/ New Users #5  
I don't want anyone to shy away from asking a question, but some of the questions are about as coherent as my 2 year old. There are a lot of them lately where there issue is only a couple of words and in most cases not even complete sentences.

Brian, I got my feathers ruffled at a guy once and posted something rather sharp. Another member saw my frustration and suggested that if I don't like something or somebody, just don't read or don't post a response. He was right, and after a little thoughtful introspective examination, I realized I hadn't needed to respond at all, much less the way I did. I started practicing more patience and restraint and it made me a better forum member.

These forums are full of questions that a poster might ask with his/her first post and then never have a 2nd post. They either loose their nerve to post back or never log into TBN again. I've seen many of these posts have well thought out and lengthy responses that seem to answer the question, but nobody ever knows because the original poster (OP) never posts again. When that happens, you have to realize that this is a public forum and somebody somewhere may search and read your post so they find their needed answer. Your well thought out posts do NOT go wasted. Somebody will appreciate them. One day you may get a surprise PM pop up in your inbox from somebody telling you how much you've helped them. When that happens to me, it makes my day.:)

Just a few examples:

Don't say, "How do you expect me to answer that?" Say instead, "I need more info so I can give you a better answer."

Don't say, "Your grammar and spelling are so bad that nobody can understand you." Instead say, "Did you mean . . . ?" Almost anyone can type a yes/no response even if they are functional illiterates and have no computer or keyboarding skills.

Don't critique other posters. Just state the facts as you see them. If the last five people who posted are completely wrong, let it go unless there is a safety issue. Just post the correct info and be done with it. If there is something unsafe or damaging to equipment, just say that you disagree and why.

Always keep your sense of humor.

I think that's probably enough "lecture" from me for one post. :rolleyes:

/ New Users #6  
Hey, I've got a problem and need help. Please post your helpful recommendations below. Thanks!

/ New Users #7  
They also have used up user names that are not being used anymore.

/ New Users
Jinman, I think you're missing the point.

Most if not all the posts I am referring to aren't even a single complete sentence. Not just didn't give enough details, but 5 people will answer to it and never get a reply. Then a month later someone else will even try to help.

I guess i can't comprehend even where the humor is in it as a prank.

I just thought they were annoying. Apparently it only bothers me. Oh well...

/ New Users #9  
I just thought they were annoying. Apparently it only bothers me. Oh well...

Brian, I'm sorry if I made it sound like you were the only one bothered. It bothers me too. I think it bothers lots of us who think, organize our responses, and try our best to write in some understandable manner in all our posts. I just don't believe that giving a competency test is productive. I think many people who need help might find that offensive whether they have writing skills or not. I believe a test would offend more people than the occasional person who is struggling to get help or the ones being trolls. :)

/ New Users #10  
With me being a new guy here, may i make a comment.

It might be that the "no return OP" could not find his way back here, or did not know where they posted their question or how to find it and just gave up. or they found their answer and never came back.

just my .02