Why so many variations in service?

/ Why so many variations in service? #1  

retiredmgn

Platinum Member
I have to sign in repeatedly. Once in I'm always hit with the "Sign up Now" screen - repeatedly.
When I want to post I'm hit with, "You are not logged on"
What? Have I been banned and nobody told me?

/ Why so many variations in service? #2  
I've noticed:

1) There's some code missing to control the Pop Up login window. It usually pops up, when I'm almost through (and, I type reasonably fast) logging into the main, top of page login box. Been that way for quite a while.

#1 is slightly annoying (to me anyway), but not a new problem, and maybe not your issue.

2) Many other sites have a dropdown control in the main login box, that allows you to spec how long you want to login for (1 hour, 1day, 1month....). If TBN has that option buried somewhere, I haven't found it yet.

And, I find the default timeout for login is pretty short.

3) My thread subscriptions have not changed (in terms of deletions, or delivery control mods by me), but I've found within the last week that some thread notifications don't arrive by email now. AFAIK, my email account is fine, other normal traffic has not been affected.

There may be some general IT issues that are being worked on, with a bit of turbulence being a factor for you.

Hang in, the site does usually run very smoothly.

Rgds, D.

/ Why so many variations in service? #3  
In regards to the login issue - It's very annoying (to me) so I've gotten to where I wait for it to pop up and fill it in. BUT, then it goes to the next page says welcome to the site TRR and refreshes. At that point it does not recognize me as having logged in and says I'm "unregistered", but I can get to my profiles, etc. I've found that after the page refreshes, if I manually cause another refresh that fixes most problems with recognizing me.

/ Why so many variations in service? #4  
In regards to the login issue - It's very annoying (to me) so I've gotten to where I wait for it to pop up and fill it in. BUT, then it goes to the next page says welcome to the site TRR and refreshes. At that point it does not recognize me as having logged in and says I'm "unregistered", but I can get to my profiles, etc. I've found that after the page refreshes, if I manually cause another refresh that fixes most problems with recognizing me.

Hmmmm..... glad I stick to the Main Login.

Pop ups in general irritate me, that sequence might have me twitching like Inspector Clouseau's Boss !

:pinkpanther: :laughing:

Rgds, D.

/ Why so many variations in service? #5  
I dunno...I never log out...and haven't been seeing the problems you mention. Possibly you have some software that deletes cookies or does some other cleanup that confuses things...net...are you logging out...if so, try not doing that..works for me.

/ Why so many variations in service? #6  
After a short period (say 30 minutes max) of inactivity, I get automatically logged out. Never had this issue on other sites so far.

I'm running Firefox, what are you running TexasJohn ?

Rgds, D.

/ Why so many variations in service? #7  
firefox, always latest version, auto update.

/ Why so many variations in service? #8  
I have to sign in repeatedly. Once in I'm always hit with the "Sign up Now" screen - repeatedly.
When I want to post I'm hit with, "You are not logged on"
What? Have I been banned and nobody told me?

Did you check the little box that keeps you logged in? It's easily overlooked. It works too. If you didn't TBN automatically logs you out after X amount of minutes. You can be typing a long winded reply and it will time out before you finish. Check the [X] to stay logged in.

Sent from my iPad iOS 6.1 - TBN v1.6

/ Why so many variations in service? #9  
Did you check the little box that keeps you logged in? It's easily overlooked. It works too. If you didn't TBN automatically logs you out after X amount of minutes. You can be typing a long winded reply and it will time out before you finish. Check the [X] to stay logged in.

Sent from my iPad iOS 6.1 - TBN v1.6

Yes this could well be their problem, also must check the box before clicking sign in, I've tried to check the box quickly after signing in and it doesn't set,

/ Why so many variations in service? #10  
firefox, always latest version, auto update.

Firefox too, manual update, but checked often. I don't use Remember Me, that'll be the difference.

Rgds, D.