Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Accessing Off Topic and Politics Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Nothing to be confused about...politics are contentious and the threads can get rough. Some folks get quite irate and make comments that, if said in real life, would probably get 'em punched out.
    TBN, being a family forum, keeps this activity away from the general membership which, IMHO, is a good thing.
    I agree.
    .

  2. #12
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: Accessing Off Topic and Politics Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Nothing to be confused about...politics are contentious and the threads can get rough. Some folks get quite irate and make comments that, if said in real life, would probably get 'em punched out.
    TBN, being a family forum, keeps this activity away from the general membership which, IMHO, is a good thing.
    The point is,,,, this is a NON ISSUE. Look guys, TBN is not the first forum I have ever been in. I have NEVER had an issue with avoiding that which I don't want to see. Making these forums accessible on a permission basis only solves what? It's like putting a padlock on a shed. It only servers to keep the honest honest. Do you really need this additional barrier to "Protect" yourself? Or could you just be an adult and not click on the stupid forum. Either way, this is not some kind of a big deal one way or the other. I was just pointing out it all seems a bit pointless. It kind of says something about the people that need this added protection. But what ever, no harm no foul. Just rings odd to me is all. What ever makes the Lemmings Feel better.

  3. #13
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Accessing Off Topic and Politics Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Singalo View Post
    The point is,,,, this is a NON ISSUE. Look guys, TBN is not the first forum I have ever been in. I have NEVER had an issue with avoiding that which I don't want to see. Making these forums accessible on a permission basis only solves what? It's like putting a padlock on a shed. It only servers to keep the honest honest. Do you really need this additional barrier to "Protect" yourself? Or could you just be an adult and not click on the stupid forum. Either way, this is not some kind of a big deal one way or the other. I was just pointing out it all seems a bit pointless. It kind of says something about the people that need this added protection. But what ever, no harm no foul. Just rings odd to me is all. What ever makes the Lemmings Feel better.
    It would seem that many people, including the admin of TBN, believe it IS an issue or this thread would not exist. Personally, I would very much like to see TBN expand the concept to include ALL forums.

    And it's not about keeping people out, it's about allowing them to leave. Grouping the forums and allowing people to choose those which they want to see, effectively allows them to filter out much of what they do not want to see. In fact, I removed myself from the "Friendly Politics" sub-forum this morning because I was growing tired of seeing a never ending stream of the same political BS, ad nauseum.

    BTW: Lumping everyone together and calling them "Lemmings" probably isn't the best way to get them to take you seriously.
    .

  4. #14
    Elite Member /pine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,347

    Default Re: Accessing Off Topic and Politics Forums

    This sucks canal water....don't peek behind the curtain...you might not like what you see...!
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

  5. #15
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,282
    Location
    Northern Fingerlakes region of NY, USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

    Default Re: Accessing Off Topic and Politics Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by /pine View Post
    This sucks canal water....don't peek behind the curtain...you might not like what you see...!
    More like "Here is a curtain, use it if you don't want to see what it happening in there"
    Quote Originally Posted by Singalo View Post
    The point is,,,, this is a NON ISSUE. Look guys, TBN is not the first forum I have ever been in. I have NEVER had an issue with avoiding that which I don't want to see. Making these forums accessible on a permission basis only solves what? It's like putting a padlock on a shed. It only servers to keep the honest honest. Do you really need this additional barrier to "Protect" yourself? Or could you just be an adult and not click on the stupid forum. Either way, this is not some kind of a big deal one way or the other. I was just pointing out it all seems a bit pointless. It kind of says something about the people that need this added protection. But what ever, no harm no foul. Just rings odd to me is all. What ever makes the Lemmings Feel better.
    1. Contrary to what you seem to believe, permission is NOT required to enable viewing the Front Porch, it is an opt-in forum where a member can opt-in (or opt-out) at any time from http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...editusergroups. I am not sure if the politics forum is still permission only, but it has been permission only since it was created.
    2. When people who would like to avoid the Front Porch topics (and dont browse that forum) click on the on "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" they can now choose if they want those posts to show up in the list of new posts (looking, it appears that the "Front Porch" posts account for 10% of the posts that show up when I click on "New Posts")
    3. This makes the front porch forum private so that it doesn't get indexed by search engines


    Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

  6. #16
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: Accessing Off Topic and Politics Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    It would seem that many people, including the admin of TBN, believe it IS an issue or this thread would not exist. Personally, I would very much like to see TBN expand the concept to include ALL forums.

    And it's not about keeping people out, it's about allowing them to leave. Grouping the forums and allowing people to choose those which they want to see, effectively allows them to filter out much of what they do not want to see. In fact, I removed myself from the "Friendly Politics" sub-forum this morning because I was growing tired of seeing a never ending stream of the same political BS, ad nauseum.

    BTW: Lumping everyone together and calling them "Lemmings" probably isn't the best way to get them to take you seriously.
    I am not seeking approval from anyone. And for the most part, humans are a bunch of lemmings. You are free to agree or disagree as you choose. And my point is still valid. People should not need the ADMIN to spoon feed them what they see. You have the ability to FILTER what you see and don't see without ADMIN holding your hand. But like I said. If this makes folks feel better,,, what the heck. No skin off my back. But it makes it no less odd. I am pleased that it makes perfect sense to you however.

    Not posting this to pick a fight either. I have a counter view to others. It seems like any time that is the case, there is no lack of people that will speak up their own minds. There is room for both. And we have both had our say. Onward and Upward.

  7. #17
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Accessing Off Topic and Politics Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Singalo View Post
    I am not seeking approval from anyone. And for the most part, humans are a bunch of lemmings. You are free to agree or disagree as you choose. And my point is still valid. People should not need the ADMIN to spoon feed them what they see. You have the ability to FILTER what you see and don't see without ADMIN holding your hand. But like I said. If this makes folks feel better,,, what the heck. No skin off my back. But it makes it no less odd. I am pleased that it makes perfect sense to you however.

    Not posting this to pick a fight either. I have a counter view to others. It seems like any time that is the case, there is no lack of people that will speak up their own minds. There is room for both. And we have both had our say. Onward and Upward.
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/obtuse
    .

  8. #18
    Elite Member 300UGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,470
    Location
    Howell, Michigan
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400, Farmall H

    Default Re: Accessing Off Topic and Politics Forums

    I seldom posted on the Front Porch, and never joined the Friendly politics forum. To me, "winning" a argument on line is like masturbation. It may feel good, but you haven't accomplished anything. YMMV

  9. #19
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,259
    Location
    SE Wa

    Default Re: Accessing Off Topic and Politics Forums

    I didn't do much in that forum but I _do_ miss the jokes thread. Would it be possible to get that moved, or a new one started, in the "related topics"? Rather a stretch and posters need to mind their p&q's.

    Harry K

  10. #20
    Administrator Muhammad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1998
    Posts
    11,030
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Tractor
    None currently

    Default Re: Accessing Off Topic and Politics Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by turnkey4099 View Post
    I didn't do much in that forum but I _do_ miss the jokes thread. Would it be possible to get that moved, or a new one started, in the "related topics"? Rather a stretch and posters need to mind their p&q's.

    Harry K
    Just re-join the front porch then... http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...editusergroups
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. accessing control valve linkage
    By wayne l b in forum Hydraulics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2011, 12:26 PM
  2. Comparing the orange forums to the green forums.
    By Snatchface in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 11:11 PM
  3. Trouble accessing Tractorbynet
    By AB4D in forum News/Feedback
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-27-2006, 09:32 PM
  4. Off-Topic/Politics
    By Muhammad in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-03-2001, 11:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.