Picture size

/ Picture size #1  

alan40

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH1720, .
I've tried posting several pictures and each time they come back that my pictures are to big. According to my computer there all around 6-700KB. I thought that was under the requirement of 100000byts. Am I just being thick headed today or what?
Take care

/ Picture size #2  
<font color="blue"> According to my computer there all around 6-700KB. </font>
The TBN picture limit is 100K.

/ Picture size #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 6-700KB )</font>

Alan, doesn't that KB mean "thousand" bytes? In other words, the size limit is 100000 bytes or 100KB.

/ Picture size #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've tried posting several pictures and each time they come back that my pictures are to big. According to my computer they're all around 6-700KB. )</font>

Actually, In a way I'm glad your 6-700K pictures did not load. Those of us who are "bandwidth challenged" really can't afford to have something so big to download. (I have a dial up connection which gets only 28.8 kbps on a GOOD day. No cable modems or DSL out here.)

John Mc

/ Picture size #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Actually, In a way I'm glad your 6-700K pictures did not load. Those of us who are "bandwidth challenged" really can't afford to have something so big to download )</font>

Viewing an attachment is not mandatory, so those of us who have the speed like to see more Hi-Resolution images.

In my opinion, 100K is a very small filesize. Over on CBN, the limit is 150K -- so those of you who have files larger than 100K, but less than 150K can post them on CBN, and then just provide the link to the image and post in here on TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Picture size #6  
John and Dave's comments raise an interesting point. Maybe instead of showing the number of downloads next to the Attachment link, it would be better to show the file size, so's folks could decide whether or not they want to open it.

Muhammad?

/ Picture size #7  
Actually 100KB is an ok limit if the file is JPEG format (.jpg extenstion on Windows). This format compresses the file and works pretty good. A problem arises when .bmp format images are used (much less compressed), so one way to deal with this is to try to use .jpg attachments where possible and save them with a compression level that will still make them less than 100KB.

In Windows, if you right-click on a file and then click Properties you can see how big it is before you try to post it.

Most digital cameras now store files as .jpg files, and most imaging software that comes with them should allow the file to be resized and/or compressed so they are less than 100KB.

/ Picture size #8  
The best way I have found to post a picture and stay under the limit is....From my digital camera's software program I email the picture to myself. It automatically reduces the size down to between 50-60KB. Then I use the email picture file for the TBN attachment. The quality is pretty good. See this post for pictures that I used this method on.

Old Mill Pond of Yesteryear

Don

/ Picture size #9  
bebster:
where were you when I needed you ? I've hung around this site for a while but never had any reason to post an attachment until last night and I spent about 2 hrs. then and about an hr. this morning trying to get under the size limit finally figured out that if I printed my attachment then scanned and then saved as jpeg it would fit, I had previously saved it as a bmp. and to be truthful did'nt really know or care about the difference, I guess I will have to get off my dead butt and at least attempt to learn how to get along in this century